Featherless Meaties?

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Just wondered if anyone has tried the featherless chickens for meat? I hear a lot of people say they hate the plucking process, so was wondering if it was worth getting them. I've heard some people who are completely against the featherless birds, and others who are completely for them (not just for cutting production, but I've at least heard that they are more comfortable than feathered birds in warm regions, and that many like them in drier regions because you don't have to use a bunch of water to process them...I'm living in a desert area, so that appeals to me), but never a balanced look at them.

The problem with no feathers is no sun protection. They literally would have to have shade 24/7. Not to mention, flies and other insects can get to the skin easier, and I'd assume that they get damaged faster because of the lack of feathers. Never tried them, last I heard they were still being developed, shows how much I pay attention!

To me it's just another case of people who think they want to process their birds for meat and then become so lazy they want to breed a bird who will almost process itself LOL. I mean seriously I don't see the big deal with plucking, they do make mechanical pluckers that do it in a bout 10 seconds flat.

Ms. Frizzle: You're totally right, they aren't available to the general public yet. So I guess it'll have to be a theoretical discussion.

Al: I guess I don't see it as laziness, but more of a possible way to encourage more to be self-sufficient since I hear many are really, really turned off by the smell produced. Also, a possible way to help those of us in areas where water rights and water use are a huge issue. Drives me nuts that we are fighting over water...and yet I see the sprinkles on when it is raining and snowing. XD It'd make me feel better if I didn't have to use a bunch of water for processing. I know what they will be used for (easier industrial processing) but interested if they'd make an impact in other areas and if they could have a good quality of life.

They have to be kept indoors in a climate controlled environment, as they have no protection from the sun or cold, and they would have a difficult time regulating their body temperature without the insulation of the feathers. I don't see them being terribly practical for the average backyard chicken farmer.

Here is what they look like, they were originaly bred by Israel to eliminate the need for plucking due to cost. The breed is encountering a few problems and is nowhere near ready for the market or the hatcheries to ruin them as well LOL.

10364_naked_chicken.jpg

Quote:
I understand your water issues and if that's the case you could dry pluck, that's how folks did it when settling america and well before that. WTS As far as the smell goes it's not bad at all and we just need to get over that issue alot of things in life smell. Does that mean you won't change a baby's diaper cause it smells, it really says allot for the so called wanna be self sufficient movement. I find a quick spray of the hose on the bird before his hot spa bath works very well, meaties aren't very clean at that processing age poo is everywhere. You mentioned allot of water, well you can process 10 birds with about 5 gal of water you will use more water to rinse and clean the carcass and not to mentioned the water used to brine and age the birds. Your water/smell argument is flimsy at best.

Al: Haha, it's definitely not meant to be an argument, a thesis, or anything on my part. Merely curious pondering. Cool, how does one dry pluck? That would be a method I'd be interested in. Smell wise, I guess for me, I've worked with a lot of people who have conditions that make them very sensitive to smells and textures, so I am more sympathetic to such things having seen a bit of what they go through. If it's enough to put off even non-sensitive people (never smelled it myself), and enough to be a common complaint I hear, I see no reason why easier or just different options shouldn't be made available or explored. After all, that's what we're all about as a species. It's why you have a hose instead of a chiselled rock to process with, and why you probably, but definitely others, raise fewer birds with more meat, rather than more birds with more natural proportions.
thumbsup.gif
. When alterations encourage a positive trend, all the more the better!

Granger: Thanks for the link!

Ariel: Ack, that's something that's confusing me. Some things I've read say they need to be in temp controlled housing, others say that the whole reasoning behind it is that they dont need temperature control in warm environments that feathered chickens do poorly in. So confusing. XD

Last edited:
I do know that chickens do better in cooler weather due to the fact that they can be more comfortable. I had half bald Meaties (CRX type) croak in a heat wave last summer. I may not have died if they were completely bald, then again, who knows? I do know they produce a ton of heat themselves because they are metabolizing so much so fast, and likely more than the purebreds who are also burning hot when you pick them up and your hand goes under their wings.
Personally, looking at those bald birds makes me thing Naked Necks aren't so bad to look at. I would never go with a bald chicken.
I haven't scalded a chicken in almost 40-years, but I remember the smell. Was it so offensive I would never do it again, heck no. I look forward to being able to process my own birds this year. I can't wait to teach my kids how it is done and make them a smell memory too. Al is right, there are a lot of things that smell bad in order to get to a desirable end product. We have to learn to just deal with some of that. We don't have to always modify nature.
Just my $.02 worth.

Back
Top Bottom