featherless

scarecrow570

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
I have 5 hens that have lost feathers (bald on there behind) including the 10yr old rooster the only hen that won't let the rooster have his way is fine ,so should I assume this is a sexually transmitted disease ? A how can I correct the problem Thank you Barry

no clue
hu.gif

No, it isn't a sexually transmitted disease - but it is because the rooster is treading their feathers off when mating with them. Get him more hens or get rid of him are the two solutions available to you - but he may still have a 'favorite' who will always have wear and tear like that.

I have the same problem, almost all hens are bareback and the rooster has most all tail feathers gone, this has gone on for months now. I use pine shavings and diatamateous earth (food grade) in their coop, they wander around the yard and dust themselves weekly, so I dont think its bugs. I may just have to get rid of the rooster and see what happens.
big_smile.png

You can buy an apron for any hens that are missing feathers on their backs and towards the rear part of their back. It annoys the hen initially, but really does help, and you probably will find regrowth of feathers underneath the apron within a week or two. There are a number of places that sell them online, and once you get one to make a pattern from, you may wish to make your own. It's not complicated if you like to do that sort of thing. Once there is significant feather loss from a hen, such as what you are describing, there may actually be damage to the skin as well. An apron could prevent that, if you wish to keep the rooster.
old.gif

It is not the rooster! I have had chickens for 30 yrs I know all about the rooster and what an abuser he can be ! the skin on the rooster and the hens is as smooth as the ones in the supermarket ,craig has the same problem ,

Back
Top Bottom