The rooster we believe was killed by George. In the small coop “Bigun” just couldn’t get away. He was often challenging George. If I were to have my druthers, he would have been the rooster to keep, he wasn’t quite as audacious as George. Honestly I thought there were going to be problems with the “boys” 4 weeks ago or more, but one day just led to the next and I never saw anything warning me otherwise. They were always able to get away. I think being in the small coop one night just drew everything to a head and the body was still in the bottom of the coop.
I would have liked to do a bachelor pad, but no money and time for that. I tried to give them away on the swap page and offered them to my fellow middle TN’s. Up until that point - just over a week ago they had generally been getting along and all sitting together at night in their coop.
Chickens mature fairly fast and we just didn’t want to kill any unless we had to. I’m down to 2 cockerels, and this last guy is super submissive. If I can keep the new chicks alive and the remaining flock I’ll have 6 girls and 2 boys. After reading “understanding rooster behavior” article on here it’s changed my perspective of roosters. I believe now that as my husband is handy, if he see’s ole yellow foot on the sidelines he may indeed build a quick shelter for him as he looks to be taking over care of the little ones when they are out in their crate.
@Criticalicious the coop is a modified pre-fab. That is something I tried to tell my husband about but as in most crappy pre-fabs the dang door has settled and even I have trouble opening it with the latches open. You have to pull up on the whole door. It also doesn’t get used much unless I’m in there stirring up the bottom so it sticks too. I do appreciate you calling attention to potential issues in case I have missed something. My husband originally thought of these chickens as disposable but he’s grown attached (probably because of the amount of money and time invested) and is fairly upset about something we have tried to prevent. It’s inevitable to form favorites.
Also from everything I’ve read, the indications say it’s a fox. We haven’t seen any but the camera caught a raccoon hanging around 2-3 times the night before, and last night, well let’s just say that one won’t be pestering them anymore. Raccoons supposably leave massive carnage and we didn’t find one body and the other one was partially buried. Thanks for everyone’s interest and questions.

Attachments

• 5C5680DE-D81C-4113-B4AF-26A62E2F1178.jpeg
    5C5680DE-D81C-4113-B4AF-26A62E2F1178.jpeg
    791.2 KB · Views: 7
I am curious what happend to rooster number 4?
I would make sure that the chickens are inside the coop each night. It is possible for some preditors (racoons) to open some auto doors. I would not continue to trust this auto door and go back to opening them in the morning and closing them at night. Something got inside somehow.
Maybe go back to only letting them out of their enclosure during the daY when you are home.
Good luck tonight. I hope your camera will tell you what is coming around.
I have gone back to the manual setting and feel much better about them being safe. Auto door will only be used when we’re gone for vacations with people to check on them of course. This door is pretty simple, I don’t think he could slide it up because the teeth on the gear go through the door itself and he’d have to overcome the motor....That would certainly be an interesting site. I have’t heard that before so that is interesting to know.

Last week a watched a utube video someone set up in there garage. A racoon got inside through the roof and LIFTED the garage door up 5 or 6 inches to get out.
They are Very strong when determined.
That's crazy!! I have wondered if anyone has experienced a predator actually pushing the button (by accident) on an automatic door opener while poking around trying to figure out how to get in.

most of the birds that have died at the "paws" of predators have happened in the day, about 10:00 am on a cloudy day. I have seen raccoons, fox, coyote and opossum in the daylight hours hunting on my place.

Back
Top Bottom