Feathers everywhere!

Chunck

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2016
Chino Valley, AZ
I left my two remaining hens in the coop for a night and a day. Both have been doing well after the round worm incident. One is an Americauna and the other a Red. When I came home there were feathers everywhere in the run, but the Americauna looked OK. It was definitely her feathers. That was a couple days ago. Now I see where she's losing a noticeable amount of feathers that you can see the patches that look like dents in her coat of feathers. You can't really see the skin yet, but I fear it's not far off.

What's the best way to look for an infestation or skin issue? I was thinking of just capturing her and inspecting all the under areas where the skin would be thinnest and blood would be easily accessed, as well as the skin being the softest and more likely to be effected by a rash or other microbial parasite.

That's a good and valid question. I have no idea. she was given to me by someone who was having an estate sale and said if I caught her I could have her. She was producing 1 to 2 eggs a day and then I got hit with a micro-burst during the monsoon season and it knocked the coop over with her in it. I haven't see an egg from her since.
that kind of trauma would stress her out, and keep her from laying
do you have pics? my guess is molt

up her protein intake

check out these molt pics
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-fall-winter-2016

definitely keep an eye on her, inspect her skin and feather shafts

and increase protein, tuna, eggs, your leftover meats, BOSS, etc etc

Good Luck!!

Agrees...hard molt.
Look for but be careful of new pin feathers...
...that will tell the tale, but they are 'uncomfortable' and you don't want to break any.

Last edited:
More than once, I've walked into my coop and thought one of my chickens must've been eaten- feathers, feathers everywhere!

Then I count and see every bird is there. My guess is she is molting. My chickens are all molting now. Perfectly normal way for them to shed old feathers in preparation for colder weather, but it is a little disconcerting if it's unexpected. The birds will look rough for a while and may cease laying but when they grow back in, the hens will all look great!

Wow what a bummer losing your others that way.
Not all commercial suppliers have good livability either.
I got chicks, raised them and lost them young to an assortment of genetic issues.

Research, research, research then cross your fingers.

Back
Top Bottom