feathers falling out

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkielover92, Jul 31, 2011.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    My pekin duck has feathers falling out EVERYWHERE! I don't know if he's molting (his feathers are still pretty and not scraggely) but their are feathers all over the place like it looks like someone grabbed a handful of feathers and threw them all over the coop.....anyone know what this is or if he is just starting to molten he's only about three months old. [​IMG]

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

molting definetley [​IMG]

3. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    [​IMG] I'm sorry to laugh but the same scare just happened to me!!! I was mortified but yes it's most likely just a molt! Don't worry they will loose a lot of feathers and grow them back. If they are egg ducks, like mine, they will stop laying, it just takes too much calcium for them to both grow new feathers and produce eggs. Good luck!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:Or could be like mine and maybe miss a day (or she laid the egg in a nest not in their house which is just as likely) during her molt. But if it is a he, you won't have to worry about eggs anyway [​IMG]

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Right except it is protein that is used to grow feathers and produce eggs not calcium.

6. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    My crested has been loosing feathers for what seems like weeks. She is just about 4 months old and she began well over a month ago. It also seems to go in spirts. There will be feathers everywhere one day then not again for a week for so. She doesn't look ragged either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by