Feathers falling out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tambo2007, Feb 27, 2015.

1. tambo2007

tambo2007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    Central Texas
    I have a Rhode Island White that I have noticed losing her feathers...(pics below) she's the only light colored chick in the coop so I know the feathers I am seeing on the floor in the coop are hers. she's the smallest. I have not seen them pick on her and she's the most rambunctious one of the flock. She's eating/pooping and seems happy but looking sparse on her feathers. She's 3-4 weeks old and doesn't look like she's getting any new feathers. No scratching noticed. They're on medicated chick started feed. Any thoughts? Help... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Chicks will molt about 6 or 7 times until they are of laying age. This is completely normal.

Unless you see issues with red skin, mites, aggression from the others, etc...there is nothing to worry about. Feathers will be flying for several more months. :)

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    x2. Totally Agree.

4. tambo2007

tambo2007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    Central Texas
    Ok. Great! Thanks Yall! I appreciate the help. We are chicken newbies and I wasn't aware they would molt that quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by