Feathers in the yard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Jul 31, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My pullets are about 20 weeks now. This is my first chicken experience so I do not know what is normal as far as how many feathers chickens lose on any given day. I presume just as we lose hair daily, they must lose feathers. I have 14 birds and there seems to be an awful lot of feathers in the yard. None of the birds look like they are in any kind of molt or shedding disaster. Is it normal to have lots of feathers in the coop? [​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Yep, they can lose feathers for many reasons. It can be normal or they could be molting. Another option could be from the roo's playing rough and pulling them out, or a dietary deficiency. If they look healthy I wouldn't worry much.

3. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    I would think as long as your not seeing bald spots on your chickens that they are not losing to many.

4. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of about 30 adults I very seldom found a feather in the yard or run or coop...that is up until about two weeks ago.
    Now there are feathers everywhere, and egg laying numbers have fallen drastically. I figure they must be molting.

There are feathers from everyone (different colors) and they are from their feet (I have D'Uccles with feathered feet) and wings, and there are also plenty of body feathers with downy parts near the skin end.

No one has bald spots...there are just feathers everywhere though.

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing. I did last year about this time, too.

I figured it was my spring-born birds losing their "baby feathers" and growing their "grown-up" feathers. As we go into fall, I think the older (over a year old) hens will begin going into a molt, so this will continue for a while, for us anyhow.

It looks like someone's been having a pillow fight!

6. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Mine too- and mine are only 12weeks. It looks like they were having chicken fights in the coop. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Being new, I figured it was the heat and they were turning on the A/C [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by