feathers picked of head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl57, Dec 28, 2009.

1. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    I have 3 hens that are being picked on. One has all the feathers picked of one side of her head. I think she is the lowest. I caught 3 leghorns . one had her pined down, the other 2 were pecking her. ( she is a golden comet)

I broke this up, & held her for awhile. How can I stop this behaver. The leghorns are top dogs.

Any suggestions, please

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Same thing happened to my 2 Polish. One died from it but I got the other one in time. I spray either blukote or Betadine spray on her head every few weeks. They don't like the taste and it helps heal.
    She looks a little funky with blue or brown crest on a white Polish but she thinks she pretty.[​IMG]

3. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Deffinatly give the bad taste thing a go!

and maybe just watch them a little, break it up when it starts. may help

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Are the chickens that are being bullies eating the feathers? If yes then you have a protein problem. Not enough protein and they are turning to cannibalism. Get a food that has higher protein and add some scrambled eggs to their diet for a while.

Does each chicken have enough room to roam around in? Each chicken should have 4 square feet MINIMUM or they will go after each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by