Feathers plucked...!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sillyovrsilkies, Feb 15, 2011.

1. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Hey...just a quick ? I noticed one day last week after a particularly frigid day/night where my silkies had spent the majority of their day in their coop that one of my hens must have been picked on b/c her neck feathers were plucked!! There was no sign of injury...only she's quite bare on her normally fluffy little neck. None of the others appear to have any problems...just her. So, is this normal? Were they just bored, so they decided to pick on one?? Any suggestions for stopping the behavior? I'm not sure that it's continuing, but just in case I noticed anything else...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    you might want to read the threads on the FAQ page about feather picking.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    keep an eye on her, feather plucking can lead to blood, which then can lead to a huge sore, if you see any blood she needs to be removed from the flock asap, you can put her in a dog crate in the coop, that way she is protected and still with the others if you see blood. also, give them something to do, put whole cabbage in coop, put a bail of hay for them to kick around, throw their feed in the shavings for them to scratch at, give them some BOSS to increase protein in their diet. In my experence feather plucking can be difficult to stop, when the others see one doing it they may all start doing it, pinless peepers help too stop this also. good luck

4. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Quote:What FAQ's are you typing of?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by