Feathers

stacyloveswife

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2020
Hello everyone I am new here, I have a quick question. I had I repeat HAD too many roosters, my fault I hatched chicks and don't know how to sex them, on my hens and their backs are now featherless. I have tried a cream on them, feeding them feather fixer, and spraying them with some medicine for cuts but their feathers are really slow to grow back. Just in case you are wondering I am down to 1 rooster now my beloved Silver Laced Polish. If you can share so kind words and advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

What is the question exactly? how to fix the feathers or how to stop the excessive mating? I see you got rid of the roos. I'd get a chicken saddle. Their skin is delicate now even with just one roo. This will protect their backs while they heal. I'd either use feather fixer with supplemental oyster shells, or use layer feed and give them meal worms (high protein) as a daily treat with supplemental oyster shells. My gals actually don't like oyster shells so I have to either mix it into their feed, or give them egg shells separately which they love.

I give eggs shells, oyster shell and grit I use layer feed mixed with scratch the problem with the saddle is I have about 50 hens so that's a no go but thank you.

I give eggs shells, oyster shell and grit I use layer feed mixed with scratch the problem with the saddle is I have about 50 hens so that's a no go but thank you.
Then remove the rooster with some of the healthier or hens, or remove the hens needing to regrow their feathers. Feathers can only grow so fast, no matter what you do.

Or, trim and file the rooster's nails and spurs.

You should never mix scratch grain with their feed as it depletes the amount of protein and nutrients needed for chickens. It's usually only 8-10% protein and then need a minimum of 16%, especially if they are growing new feathers.

If you mix just 20 pound of scratch into 50 pounds of layer feed, you just lowered the protein to 13.7%.

Feather fixer is higher protein, which is why I suggested if you are using layer feed to supplement with meal worms as their daily treat. Meal worms are 50% protein.

Okay first off I have around 50 hens. Second I fed scratch to my chickens for years, they are not coopers they are free range. I feed a mixture of everything from my scraps from the house to flock blocks to mealworms to feather fixer and layer. My chickens are healthy and happy. They get to roam 2 acres of land eating what ever they want to eat. So my question is what else can I do to try to get the feathers to grow back, not what should I be feeding them , but thank you for the advice.

Okay first off I have around 50 hens. Second I fed scratch to my chickens for years, they are not coopers they are free range. I feed a mixture of everything from my scraps from the house to flock blocks to mealworms to feather fixer and layer. My chickens are healthy and happy. They get to roam 2 acres of land eating what ever they want to eat. So my question is what else can I do to try to get the feathers to grow back, not what should I be feeding them , but thank you for the advice.
You asked for advice, and that was my advice. Food fuels the body. My advice also included to separate your hens needing to regrow feathers, or trim your roo. There is no magic wand to make them appear overnight.

You asked for advice, and that was my advice. Food fuels the body. My advice also included to separate your hens needing to regrow feathers, or trim your roo. There is no magic wand to make them appear overnight.
I've been raising chickens for 5 to 10 years I know there is no magic wand I was just asking to see if anyone had any advice, thanks for your advice and my roo doesn't need to be trimmed. There was too many roosters on the hens this is what caused it. I now only have 1. But if there is nothing else I can do but to sit and wait it our then that's what I'll do. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom