Feathers

SRagno

Chirping
Nov 10, 2020
Why are the feathers beginning to look so...frayed, I guess you could say? Are these just over oiled feathers or the beginnings of something I need to worry about? They didn't used to look like that.
20220703_115612.jpg

Looks perfectly normal to me. Over time their feathers fade in the sun and start to get frayed. If other ducks are standing on them for mating or practice mating, the feathers fray even more. They don’t always molt their flight feathers so it can seem worse than it is. She will eventually have a hard molt and look gorgeous again. When that happens, you might want to up her protein %.

One of my muscovy and one of my pekins are more than "frayed": they are downright ratty! But they will molt and get fine new feathers soon!!

Don't worry, SRagno, your duck looks great despite the little wear an tear!

khaki girls always turn light in the summer and dark in the winter, my girl recently passed away but we used to love watching her feathers change back and forth every year! she’s the duck in my profile pic 🥰

And now I know! Definitely started after all the mating. I am relieved. OK, thanks ya'll!

Back
Top Bottom