Feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jones-e, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jones-e

jones-e Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    SAULT STE MARIE,ONTARIO
    At What Age Are Chicks Fully Feathered And Can Stand Below Zero Weather As I Live In Sault Ste Marie Ontario And Its Cold My Coop Is Not Insulated But I Have Windows For Sunlight To Get In And Warm The Air And Its Draft Free With 13 Other Hens And One Rooster?thanks In Advance!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chicks are typically feathered in by about 8 weeks or so. However, that doesn't mean they can sustain zero degree temps. It means they have the ability to start regulating body temperature. In order to sustain very low temps, they have to be gradually acclimated to it. This typically happens during the natural declining of temps if they are outside when it happens. During winter that is much harder to accomplish.

If you're considering putting a young chick in with adults, you may want to look around at some other recent posts where that didn't go so well. Adult are very rough on youngsters and it can get brutal very quickly.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i have been to Sault Ste. Marie, and i can testify to the cold. Chickens vary on feathering out, but i wouldn't be comfortable in anything less than 2 months myself. I have 3 that are now 3 months old. We got chilly early here in Kentucky and they experienced several mid twenty nights at about 6 weeks and never complained. Zero fahrenheit is another matter. got much snow?
    scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by