Feed Amounts

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by aggieterpkatie, Sep 14, 2010.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi all, I have a feed question. I currently have 9 turkeys, 4 BBW and 5 BBB. They were hatched late March, so they're big now. My question is how much should I be feeding them? I can't tell if I'm underfeeding or if they're just always hungry! They don't get free choice feed, I feed twice a day. I currently feed the group of turkeys with my chickens. I'd guess I have 30ish chickens. I'm feeding 2 full 2 qt scoops twice a day. When the scoop is full, it's actually over 2 qts. I haven't weighed the feed, but it's a typical mashed feed so it's heavy.

Does that sound at all right? Is it normal for turkeys to act like they're starving? I can try to get weights on a few of them if that helps.

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    One way to judge is give them all they can eat in 15 minutes twice day.

I think I would feed at least double that. Like two to three buckets each feeding is my guess.

3. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:It probably takes them 15 minutes to eat all the feed I give.

Two or three buckets? What size bucket?

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    1 gal buckets.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Since they are broad breasted turkeys you feed them like broiler chickens at all they can eat 12 hours per day. The whole purpose of the broad breasted type is max weight gain in the shortest amout of time.

Steve

6. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply Steve. I don't really care to grow them as quickly as possible, so I don't mind feeding them so they grow slower...I just don't want to feed too little. Does that make sense?[​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Yes that makes sense. You are probably going to just have to play it by ear. You could weigh them once a week would be one way to tell. They are bred for rapid weight gain so if they are doing that cut back on the feed. If they are maintaining or a slow gain then that is what you want. If loosing they need more feed.

8. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks Steve! [​IMG]

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

glad to help [​IMG]

Actually when you figure out the amount can you post it? I'm sure somebody else could use the info as well. I always like to hear and lean towards personal experience vice what you read.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by