Feed analysis

currysage1

Hatching
Jan 15, 2016
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, but have raised many a bird. Ran across 120 lbs of free mixed feed. Was wondering if it is a good choice for meat birds, layers or what have you.

Crude prot 14.7%
Avail prot 14.2
Crude fat 1.8
Starch 52.7
Fiber 10.3
Lignin 1.5
Nfc 61
Ash 1.76

welcome-byc.gif

Layer food is generally 16% protein, and a broiler grower would be between 20-24% protein. A grower for layer pullets is around 18-20%. Not sure where this feed would fit in. Is it in pelletized form?

It is a mixture of grains, looks to be mostly wheat, barley, rye, and a few others I can't recognize

That mixture looks pretty OK. Only one category of ingredients that may be a little heavy is the fibre of 10% +.

I purchase a fairly generic scratch/layer feed from Pet Club for $9.99, but I do not use it for their exclusive alimentation. I like to make part of their feed myself.

I have some 5 gallon cans of wheat berries (grains) and some rolled oats, corn meal, and popcorn kernels that I place in my Bullet Blender, a handful at a time, and reduce the size of the kernels (my chickees are just 3 month old pullets). In addition to that I save all of the eggshells from the store bought eggs we eat and grind them to a powder in the Bullet Blender. The chicks really like these different tastes, though I haven't figured out how they determine taste.

They are large enough now that the rolled oats do not need to be ground down, and these oats are their favorite. Next to that they like the corn meal and cracked corn pellets. I still use the Pet Club scratch/layer feed mostly because it is so cheap. When they leave some of it in their feeding dish I just put it in the blender and grind to a powder -- placed with the other grains they eat it up very well in the powdered form.

It doesn't take much to make up a batch of customized feed if you have a small blender like my Bullet brand, and you will get some pride when you see how well they like the different grains. I have even dried earthworms out in the sun and put them with the egg shells in the blender to a powder. They REALLY like this, and just think of all the good animal-type protein they are getting.

So, to answer your question...the mix you have is OK nutritionally. The question is, "Do the chicks like the 'taste'? If not, try the blender trick and/or add some oatmeal or corn meal. Guaranteed to get them eating like hogs.

Because they are foraging they are sure to find crickets and grasshoppers, etc. which will give them the best nutritional support they could ever need, plus all the seeds from the pasture-type feed.

Frogstomper

Last edited:
If they are laying, then not really, as they need higher calcium in their diet. However, I've read that some members put free choice oyster shell next to general flock feed, so you could, if you wish, try that option and see how they go.

All the best
Ct

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, but have raised many a bird. Ran across 120 lbs of free mixed feed. Was wondering if it is a good choice for meat birds, layers or what have you.

Crude prot 14.7%
Avail prot 14.2
Crude fat 1.8
Starch 52.7
Fiber 10.3
Lignin 1.5
Nfc 61
Ash 1.76
It's lacking in crude protein. It's not horribly low as some layer feeds have as low as 15%. Chickens can maintain at low levels but it's not great for growing or meat birds or even for full production laying. If the feed doesn't smell moldy I'd certainly pick up 120 lbs of free feed. The trick though is to supplement it to raise the protein with as little supplement so the 120 lbs isn't lasting for a long time and potentially going bad or at minimum losing nutrients with age. Do do this I'd grab a bag of same feed form, crumble or pellet, of highest protein you can find at local store. A turkey/gamebird starter will give you somewhere in line of 28% protein. Bit of math you find mixing 50 lbs of that to 120 lbs of 14.7% protein results in 170 lbs of good "all flock" feed with 18.6% protein.

This would be a great chicken start/grower, meat bird/turkey finisher and layer flock feed if oyster shell is supplied on side free choice. It would be good for any and all flocks including ducks and geese. You just couldn't go wrong with above blend unless your growing meat birds then you'd not even consider using the free low protein in first place.

Last edited:
That mixture looks pretty OK. Only one category of ingredients that may be a little heavy is the fibre of 10% +.

I purchase a fairly generic scratch/layer feed from Pet Club for $9.99, but I do not use it for their exclusive alimentation. I like to make part of their feed myself.

I have some 5 gallon cans of wheat berries (grains) and some rolled oats, corn meal, and popcorn kernels that I place in my Bullet Blender, a handful at a time, and reduce the size of the kernels (my chickees are just 3 month old pullets). In addition to that I save all of the eggshells from the store bought eggs we eat and grind them to a powder in the Bullet Blender. The chicks really like these different tastes, though I haven't figured out how they determine taste.

They are large enough now that the rolled oats do not need to be ground down, and these oats are their favorite. Next to that they like the corn meal and cracked corn pellets. I still use the Pet Club scratch/layer feed mostly because it is so cheap. When they leave some of it in their feeding dish I just put it in the blender and grind to a powder -- placed with the other grains they eat it up very well in the powdered form.

It doesn't take much to make up a batch of customized feed if you have a small blender like my Bullet brand, and you will get some pride when you see how well they like the different grains. I have even dried earthworms out in the sun and put them with the egg shells in the blender to a powder. They REALLY like this, and just think of all the good animal-type protein they are getting.

So, to answer your question...the mix you have is OK nutritionally. The question is, "Do the chicks like the 'taste'? If not, try the blender trick and/or add some oatmeal or corn meal. Guaranteed to get them eating like hogs.

Because they are foraging they are sure to find crickets and grasshoppers, etc. which will give them the best nutritional support they could ever need, plus all the seeds from the pasture-type feed.

Frogstomper
chickens only have about 30 tastebuds to our 10000 so they really don't care about the taste to be honest, they have stuff they like and prefer to other things but thats about it :)

It's lacking in crude protein. It's not horribly low as some layer feeds have as low as 15%. Chickens can maintain at low levels but it's not great for growing or meat birds or even for full production laying. If the feed doesn't smell moldy I'd certainly pick up 120 lbs of free feed. The trick though is to supplement it to raise the protein with as little supplement so the 120 lbs isn't lasting for a long time and potentially going bad or at minimum losing nutrients with age. Do do this I'd grab a bag of same feed form, crumble or pellet, of highest protein you can find at local store. A turkey/gamebird starter will give you somewhere in line of 28% protein. Bit of math you find mixing 50 lbs of that to 120 lbs of 14.7% protein results in 170 lbs of good "all flock" feed with 18.6% protein.

This would be a great chicken start/grower, meat bird/turkey finisher and layer flock feed if oyster shell is supplied on side free choice. It would be good for any and all flocks including ducks and geese. You just couldn't go wrong with above blend unless your growing meat birds then you'd not even consider using the free low protein in first place.

You mentioned supplementing feed to increase protein -- any specific suggestions? I buy our feed for heritage meat birds from a local, non-GMO supplier (details below), but I'm wondering if there isn't a way to make it fatten the birds up a bit more. Could I mix it with yogurt or milk or something? I don't want it to spoil though, if they don't eat it. Looking for anyone's tricks/tips... Thanks!

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude protein min …………………18.08%
Lysine min…………………………………1.0%
Methionine min …………………………0.44%
Crude fat min …………………….2.98%
Crude fiber max ……………4.31%
Calcium min 0.68%…………………max 1 .68%
Phosphorous min ……………………0.71%
Salt min 0.14%……………………………max 0.80%

Back
Top Bottom