Feed and water for newly hatched chicks and ducklings?

stevesoileau

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Duson, LA South Louisiana
I have a hen setting eggs due to hatch in a couple of days and a mallard hen who has 8 or 9 ducklings that have hatched this morning. My question is; Do chicken and ducks hens feed their babies like some other birds or do I need to provide starter feed and water that the babies can reach? If you have to provide for the babies how do you stop the larger birds from eating the babies feed?

Yes, you have to provide feed. The mothers will show them how to eat but don't feed them.
IMO the older birds will eat up all the starter. You can provide grower in a place the chicks can reach but not the older birds but I don't like the chicks to get layer feed. You can't put a sign over what feed is for whom because if they could read they would still ignore your requests.
I usually separate the broody from the flock and feed the mother and chicks grower. She probably needs the added protein after not eating well all this time and she doesn't need the calcium in layer.
If the chicks are very valuable, I separate them and brood separately so I can make sure they get enough feed and water.

I love broodies now that I have fertile eggs. Sooo much easier than incubating.
You know ducks aren't supposed to get medicated starter.

Yes I'm aware about the medicated starter. The folks at my local feed store are really helpful about those things! Got home after work last evening and moma duck with 9 ducklings in tow had left the nest in the coop and was huddled up in a corner of the 20' x 30' fenced in covered run. My wife went into the coop and found 6 eggs left in the coop, one of which had a pip and a peeping duckling alive in the egg. We have some eggs in a 'bator so popped it in and it hatched out sometime early morning. Candled the rest of the eggs and they were not developing. Baby ducks are cute!

So my ducklings hatched today !!! Mama and babies are all doing well and they're super cute ! I was able to hold 2 of them. ... Mom is very good about letting me sit over there and holding the babies .... What else do I need to do ? She seems to have a few more eggs under her and she's sitting on them ....

Back
Top Bottom