Feed and water height

rfamilychickens

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Hello, I'm a brand new member. Currently I have eggs in the incubator and I'm constructing my coop right now. For my coop design I'm going to elavate the water and food. I plan to have Americanas and Bantam chickens. What height in inches off the floor should they be for these type chickens when they are full grown.

Thanks for your help

welcome-byc.gif

I always place my feeders at back level of the shortest chicken when full grown. My Salmon Faverolles are my shortest and they stretch a bit to eat and drink but my Jersey Giants have to lean over a good bit to eat from the same feeder. It mostly stays clean in the food and water containers.
You can do a search of posts also, but there are lots of threads on this and it may take you all day to read them all! I love searching the archives though.
Have fun!
frow.gif

Welcome!

I hang my feeder and waterers by dog tie out chains cut to length. I hang the chain then use an S hook to hang the feeders on the chain.

That makes it really easy to raise and lower the feeder/waterer as needed as the chickens grow!

And ditto what Nadine said - hang them back/crop height of the shortest chickens.

In my banty Cochin coop I can only hang the feeder and waterer 6" off the ground because my girls are so short, although I have raised it to 8" when they were being naughty and kicking dirt in it. They have been nicer since they hatched out some chicks though so I lowered it again and they dump some food out for the chicks to eat, even though the chicks have their own special area for food and water.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom