feed and water in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rypie13, Jun 6, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    chickens (5 weeks old) were just moved outside to their coop and run. I have 5 hens and we want to coop them at night do we need to move their food and water in and out or is it just better to keep it in 1 place. (which one in or out)

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I feed and water all my birds inside, except now, I water two of the main pens outside in bowls rather than inside for the summer. The rest of the pens are getting both inside. I recommend this if you have a lot of wild birds around your area, so they are getting most of the chicken feed you pay for.

I also feed and water inside because sometimes, in bad weather, my birds will NOT go outside for anything, so they need water inside the house.

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I keep water both inside the coop and the run, but I only have feed inside the coop. Not that we get a lot of rain here, but I don't want the hassle of feed getting wet. I also don't want to drag 1 water container in and out all the time. So, I just bought 2.

Hope this helps!!!

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi, I have not put my babies out in the run yet, but it is set up to have water permanently there at all times. I am thinking that at first I will put out a feeder, but eventually that will only be in the coop.

Good luck in whatever you deicide.

Dilly

5. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    My babies are 7 weeks old now I have an automatic waterer in the run with a large hanging feeder. On the inside, I have a smaller hanging feeder and the small waterer that they used as peeps. They are outside for the most part, in only at night but from what I read here, having water available all the time is a must.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by