Feed and water in pen/coop

I tell you what: I researched the heck out of feeders and waterers before my chicks were old enough to go outside. I ended up making a waterer with a bucket and vertical nipples and DIY PVC feeders.

They were great, honestly, but my girls prefer drinking from pans. So I still have the hanging bucket waterer, but I now have pans scattered about the yard that I change daily. It's easier to clean/change than the bucket.

As for feeders, I ended up switching out the PVC feeder for typical plastic hanging feeders from TSC. They were waaaay cheaper. I hang them from the rafters of my run using old dog leashes. I just unclip the feeders at night and bring them in. Again, easier to clean.

I think what all of these suggestions boils down to is, as you said, trial and error. Try something (after research, of course). Then change/adapt as needed. My system is not the preferred system of most, but it is so easy for me, and my girls are happy. Isn't that all that matters?
:)
Could you post a picture of your feeders? I made pvc ones but my chicks are still flicking food everywhere and I am worried about mice/rats etc.

Could you post a picture of your feeders? I made pvc ones but my chicks are still flicking food everywhere and I am worried about mice/rats etc.
This is what I use. The most basic of basic. The dog leashes are hung from the rafters with the clip part down (the part that hooks to the dog collar/harness). I put the handle in that. At night, I unclip them and carry the feeders indoors. Easy peasy.
downloadfile.jpg

(Photo from TSC website)

My birds still spill a lot, mind you, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem. They peck up most of it, or my dog eats it, or it gets mixed into the deep litter. If you really want rat-proof, I think your best bet are treadle feeders. FWIW, I was super worried about rats, but I've not had a *noticeable* problem. I'm sure they visit because they are so ubiquitous, but I have yet to see evidence of rat activity.

ETA: I realize now you were probably asking about my PVC feeders. I scrapped those for these months ago. They were those vertical ones with the 3ft extension inserted into a y-connector. Here's a pic from the web:
(Pic from Etsy)

Attachments

• il_570xN.830932519_5emw.jpg
    il_570xN.830932519_5emw.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have two large water containers (5 gallon bucket and another purchased from TSC) and put float type cups on them instead of the ones that they have to peck for water. Purchased a 4 pack of cups on Amazon for $20. One is in the coop and the other in the run. I just make sure the cups are clean and functional every day.

Then I have a 36" food trough for them (purchased on Amazon but available at like a TSC). It has a bar across the top that's free spinning so they can't roost. It's in the coop, but their coop is also 8'x8'. We can afford to give up the floor space because our nesting boxes will be wall-mounted.

I put a small food dish (old cat bowl) in their run with their snacks for the day. Except watermelon... that puppy just goes on the ground.

They have a run attached to their coop and access to both all day.
20190523_073027.jpg 20190516_190752.jpg

I use horizontal nipple waterers and DIY no waste feeders. I can go away for more than a week and not have to depend on someone to feed or give water to my flock. I have a neighbor that likes to come get the eggs though.

I keep food and water inside and outside, my coop and run are open 24/7.

You will need something in the run. If you leave it dirt and don't pick up the poop regularly, you will have a nasty fly problem. I recommend deep litter or just wood chips, not shavings, depending on your run size. Deep litter or chips gives your chickens something to scratch through and dust bath in also as it breaks down.

I don't cover my nest boxes. I have laying hens and chicks mixed in my flock, so I need them open. I've never had a problem with any birds sleeping in them. My roost board is higher than the nest boxes. Even when I had a lower roost for the chicks, they never slept in the nest boxes.

Horizontal nipples can be found on Amazon. Link for the DIY feeder and Heated horizontal nipple waterer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

View attachment 1784790

View attachment 1784792

I am REALLY excited about both this bucket-style PVC feeder and the nipple-style waterer and can't wait to try them both out ASAP. My Sheltie (Gracie!) loves the layer pellets and this feeder should keep her out of them, the little rascal! And this waterer will certainly keep their water cleaner longer. I like it, I like it! And I LOVE this forum, I am SO glad I found you people!
:love:love:love

So these dog eggs you getting any good? :p
I am REALLY excited about both this bucket-style PVC feeder and the nipple-style waterer and can't wait to try them both out ASAP. My Sheltie (Gracie!) loves the layer pellets and this feeder should keep her out of them, the little rascal! And this waterer will certainly keep their water cleaner longer. I like it, I like it! And I LOVE this forum, I am SO glad I found you people!
:love:love:love

Many years ago I found a feeder online that looks like a 5 gallon bucket with the feed trough on the bottom. It even has a lid like a 5 gallon bucket. The squirrels have long since chewed up the lit. I keep it outside the coop covered by an upside down child's pool to keep the rain out. I have a large horse waterer for them and the dogs to drink out of. I keep a hanging poultry feeder and waterer in the coop for rainy days when they don't want to go out or for the last minute snack before going to bed. Some like the hanging ones better and some like the ones outside. I like to give them options.
The way I have kept mine from roosting in the nesting boxes is to keep the nesting boxes at a lower level than the roost. They all go as high as possible at night. The 1st 2 nights after moving my babies outside, I put them on the roost. They figured it out by night 3. My old girls always slept on the left of the coop and the babies on the right. The babies are 7 weeks old and have been out 2 weeks. Last night the old girls decided to mix up the sleeping order. One was on the left, one on the right and one on the middle. The babies were freaked out and squabbling.it took them longer than normal to settle down.

I recently built a feeder into the wall of the pen. Minimal food loss and easy to refill from outside the pen. As for the waterer, drinking nipples on a PVC pipe attached to hose and a 5 gallon bucket with lid outside of the coop. Easy to fill with a hose.View attachment 1792820

This is the first time I think I have ever seen someone build one of the PVC 90 degree elbow style feeders into a rectangular/flat surface/shape. Very smart! Wish I had thought of it. Haha.

This is the first time I think I have ever seen someone build one of the PVC 90 degree elbow style feeders into a rectangular/flat surface/shape. Very smart! Wish I had thought of it. Haha.
Well, it's pricier with the wood box but it definitely saves space. I kept thinking it was silly to not have a feeder that fit the whole bag of feed and built the box based on the volume of a full bag. Then I thought it would be nice to have it against the wall and be able to be fill it without entering the run (the ceiling is only 5 ft tall). Fairly happy with the results as the chickens don't have to buck and weave to get their heads in the holes.

Back
Top Bottom