Feed and water inside or out?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickaree, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm getting ready to design my first coop.The chicks will need to be locked up at night due to raccoons. Do they need the food and water at night inside the coop? I worry because it can get very hot and humid here in south Texas.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I live in Missouri, yes, it is humid but I use a fan in the summer in the coop. I keep their feed and water inside the coop at all times. Now they have access to water outside at all times and I do let them free range in summer. In the winter they use a hay covered run but have to go back inside for water or feed. They have plenty of seeds to peck at in the hay plus it keeps their feet off the frozen ground. Then I end up with good mulch for spring and there will new green growth under the hay.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in NY area and I do not put water in the coop, just the pen. My coop is rather small and is really only used by the hens for the nesting boxes and by all to sleep.

It's been my experience that when chooks are roosting, they are sleeping and they rarely move around, let alone eat or drink.

It would certainly not be a problem to put a waterer in the coop to be on the safe side, however, I'd suggest placing it where it would be less likely to get knocked around and spilled.

All the best with your coop design and building!

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    water and feed in coop, just in case I dont get out there as soon as the sun comes up, they wake up thirsty, and with food inside keeps the spillage to a minumum. I also have water outside, so they dont have to go in just to get a drink.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have the food, water, grit & oyster shell in the coop for the same reason as mdbucks.
    I also have food in their run, b/c they are piggies. [​IMG] I use to also keep water in the run until it started freezing every 5 mins. [​IMG] When it's warm enough, I'll start putting water in the run again. Sometimes I also have free choice grit & oyster shell in the run to.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I keep everything they need (feed, grit, oyster shell, water) in the hen house and extra water outside.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm with md on this one.

I wouldn't lock them in w/o at *least water unless you are one of these set in stone rise-at dawn types who will *never let 'em out late nor have to put 'em in early so you can go out for the evening.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by