Feed available at night?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sandybissell, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sandybissell

sandybissell New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    Hi there, We are new to the chicken raising thing. Just got 6 girls this weekend. Loving them! We've read so much but still have questions. Do you leave some food in the coop at night so they have something to eat all the time, or do you only feed them outside the coop? Would be grateful for any input. Thanks

2. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Hi there,
    No Chickens don't need feeding or watering at night, they should have access to it all day though. I leave all mine in the run so they only eat and drink in the day.
    Hope this helps!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Food is available to them 24/7 even though once they go roost at night they don't eat!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some do, some don't. It is a difference in management style.

What can be said, for virtual certainty, is that feed laying out at night is pretty much an open invitation to the rodent world. I try to avoid helping them populate. [​IMG]

5. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    We keep our food in the coop, it's got a cement foundation so although I know rats can get in (found rat poop when we moved in), it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. (maybe something we have to worry about in the winter though)

The reason I don't keep it outside is we have tons of wild birds coming in and stealing the chicken feed, but they won't come into the coop.

6. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    I give them food 24/7

7. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ours is available 24/7 and when they start being outside I will probably add another water outside but not feed. We are in a woodland setting my the ocean so we get lots of birds and other wildlife and I don't want to give them any more incentive to try and get in where the chickens are.

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    If you can let them out in the run as soon as they wake up (as soon as it gets daylight) then they probably don't need food in the coop. But if you, like me, take your time opening the coop up some mornings, the chickens would appreciate having food and water whether they get out on the ground early or not. Otherwise, as has been posted on this site before, if they are really hungry when you open the coop door, if you stumble and fall, they may eat you:D

9. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Day only for my girls, too many rats around here to chance any food left out at night.

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello there!

I keep my food inside the coop, and my water outside (except in winter, then water is inside too). Anyhow, chickens don't eat when it's dark, but if you light your coop, then they will. The reason why I keep the food inside is because, chickens will spill feed, and out in the run, even if it's covered, it can still get wet....(wind will blow in the rain). Soooo when this food gets wet, it spoils and is stinks! [​IMG] Not to mention, that if you don't get that wet, stinky, spoiled food up, the chickens can eat it and it can make them get really sick and even die.

Soooo food inside where its' guaranteed to be dry, and water outside in the summer, and inside during winter (placed away from the food, of course).

Hope this helps!
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by