Feed available at night?

sandybissell

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
Hi there, We are new to the chicken raising thing. Just got 6 girls this weekend. Loving them! We've read so much but still have questions. Do you leave some food in the coop at night so they have something to eat all the time, or do you only feed them outside the coop? Would be grateful for any input. Thanks

Hi there,
No Chickens don't need feeding or watering at night, they should have access to it all day though. I leave all mine in the run so they only eat and drink in the day.
Hope this helps!

Some do, some don't. It is a difference in management style.

What can be said, for virtual certainty, is that feed laying out at night is pretty much an open invitation to the rodent world. I try to avoid helping them populate.
smile.png

We keep our food in the coop, it's got a cement foundation so although I know rats can get in (found rat poop when we moved in), it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. (maybe something we have to worry about in the winter though)

The reason I don't keep it outside is we have tons of wild birds coming in and stealing the chicken feed, but they won't come into the coop.

ours is available 24/7 and when they start being outside I will probably add another water outside but not feed. We are in a woodland setting my the ocean so we get lots of birds and other wildlife and I don't want to give them any more incentive to try and get in where the chickens are.

If you can let them out in the run as soon as they wake up (as soon as it gets daylight) then they probably don't need food in the coop. But if you, like me, take your time opening the coop up some mornings, the chickens would appreciate having food and water whether they get out on the ground early or not. Otherwise, as has been posted on this site before, if they are really hungry when you open the coop door, if you stumble and fall, they may eat you:D

Hello there!

I keep my food inside the coop, and my water outside (except in winter, then water is inside too). Anyhow, chickens don't eat when it's dark, but if you light your coop, then they will. The reason why I keep the food inside is because, chickens will spill feed, and out in the run, even if it's covered, it can still get wet....(wind will blow in the rain). Soooo when this food gets wet, it spoils and is stinks!
sickbyc.gif
Not to mention, that if you don't get that wet, stinky, spoiled food up, the chickens can eat it and it can make them get really sick and even die.

Soooo food inside where its' guaranteed to be dry, and water outside in the summer, and inside during winter (placed away from the food, of course).

Hope this helps!
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom