Feed Black Sunflower????

Paws2u

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Carrollton, GA
This is going to be a laugher...do we feed chicks the same black sunflower seeds (in the shell) that we would feed to Cardinals in the bird feeder??? Please forgive my...the only word I can come up with...stupidity.
bow.gif

Black oil sunflower seed is a good source of protein for chickens. I didn't start feeding it until my chickens were going thru their mini-moult around 7 to 8 months - the boost of protein helps in the growth of new feathers - but I know others start it earlier.

Quote:
I've been able to pretty regularly catch it on sale at Atwoods for 49 cents a pound. It's normally 89 cents per pound there. I don't feed tons of it. Usually two 11.5% coffee cans full every other day for 15 chickens.

I buy one bag of shelled sunflower seed pieces for $65 per season. Unfortunately, I read on BYC that the sunflower seed, while rich in protein, is also high in Omega-6 fatty acids, which are not terribly healthy for people. I still feed them as an occaisional treat, but am mindful of their potental impact on the quality of our eggs.

-Christian

Last edited:
Omega 6s are still needed and healthy. The problem is in our diets. People tend to eat diets rich in omega 6 and not in other essential fatty acids causing an unbalance. The shells have some good fiber and minerals. They aren't unhealthy to feed. The greatest benefit to eliminating the shells is making the seeds easier to digest but I've never seen a problem with it. Black oil sunflower seeds digest better than whole corn or oats. It would also concentrate the protein more if you were really concerned about upping their protein without adding other things. For the extra cost though I see no good reason under normal circumstances (healthy chickens with adequate grit to digest with) to get shelled over unshelled sunflower seeds.

yup and if your are lucky try to grow them, Sun Spots are great they are a commercial style sunflower so they don't get really tall ( the tall ones fall over if the wind blows to hard) but they have the huge heads that Mammoths have.

i got 9 pound bag at tractor supply for about $5, has millet in too, I just mix it with cracked corn and toss out for a scratch treat.

Thanks for the suggestion, Im planting some sunflower this summer.

Last edited:
My back pasture is loaded with them 10 acre tract in pasture grass and sunflowers. In the fall I spend a few long hard days collecting them in burlap sacks and 55 gal drums. then I just feed them daily throughout the yr, seed head and all, my chickens love them and they look super. I leave quite a few plants in the pasture so I get a new crop effortlessly every yr.

AL

Back
Top Bottom