Feed brand or feed content?

My birds are in the final stage of transitioning from DuMor chick starter/grower 20% feed to DuMor 16% layer pellet feed. They are thriving on the DuMor feed and I have not noticed any bad smelly poop or an over abundance of flies.

Noticed everyone seems to be using a higher protein feed .... is there something I need to know here?

My birds are in the final stage of transitioning from DuMor chick starter/grower 20% feed to DuMor 16% layer pellet feed. They are thriving on the DuMor feed and I have not noticed any bad smelly poop or an over abundance of flies.

Noticed everyone seems to be using a higher protein feed .... is there something I need to know here?
I consider 16% too low for birds outside of tight confinement. I like 20%, I'll settle for 18.

16% is based on battery conditions, not the typical back yard flock.

Yes, this is exactly what I was going to say.

16% Layer feed is perfectly designed to keep modern-strain Leghorns battery layers in top production for their first year. It's not designed to keep backyard birds of less efficient breeds in peak health for several years. :)

I typically feed the 16% too. I haven't seen anything more, at least at 1st glance, at our feed store. Does anyone order a specific brand with the higher protein content? We don't have DuMor by us. Also, is feed with oyster shell in the feed enough (Purina Layer crumble) or do they need more? And do they need grit with their food if they dont get treats or extras? Thanks! (And sorry if I hijacked)

I typically feed the 16% too. I haven't seen anything more, at least at 1st glance, at our feed store. Does anyone order a specific brand with the higher protein content? We don't have DuMor by us. Also, is feed with oyster shell in the feed enough (Purina Layer crumble) or do they need more? And do they need grit with their food if they dont get treats or extras? Thanks! (And sorry if I hijacked)

A lot of people here feed 18-20% all-flock feed with oystershell on the side.

Your chickens may pick up enough grit from the ground in their run, but it doesn't hurt to offer a dish. It doesn't spoil and a healthy adult won't overeat it.

Back
Top Bottom