Feed brands?

Colored Egg Farmer

Chicken overload
15 Years
Apr 30, 2008
North Eastern Pa... Near NY
Ok for those of you with experience with feed brands i would like to ask you your opinion. I'm going to start selling chicken feed in my area and would like to know the brands that i should stay away from and ones that are very good. Nutrena is one brand i can possible get so opinions on that brand would also help. I will thank you now for your help.

thanks
CEF

I use the Nutrena layer brand and I really like it. My birds seem to be able to digest it easier than the other brands I have used. Meaning more normal poos. The pellets are smaller and easier for my banties to eat.

I have used the Purina Layena when I couldn't get the Nutrena. The birds seem to like it ok, but the pellets are huge!. My banties kind of look at it as if they are trying to figure out how to eat it. My standards are good with it.

The only other feed I have used is Arizona Feeds, and I don't like it. I can't remember what the name of the mill though. My birds had diarrhea all the time they ate it. The pellets size was ok, though.

Good luck!!

I've also used the Nutrena Start/Grow crumbles and have had no issues. The crumbles are finer than the Purina Start/Grow crumbles. My chicks will eat any crumbles I put in front of them. LOL

Last edited:
I use and highly recommend Buckeye's Breeder/Layer Pellets. THe pellets are smaller than Purina's pellets, but I believe it's manfuactured for use in the midwest...not sure on that. It has a big higher protein (18%) and it's animal-based protein, which I prefer. I switched to Layena a few times when I ran out, and had some mild issues that seemed to resolve when I switched back to the Buckeye, which is why I'm sold on it.

I'd also agree that Nutrena is pretty good stuff for the price. I've used layer crumbles, and pellets. Can't say I've experienced any issues with either. I prefer the crumbles, slightly better feed conversion, but picked up a bag of the pellets by mistake a while back. My chickens will eat either, happily. One thing I have noticed is that one of my chickens almost always has a fairly large crop in the evenings, it's just normal for her. However, with the crumbles, not so large. I think it just goes through their system with slightly less 'grinding' and probably digests overall a little more efficiently. If I switch feeds, it will be to go certified organic.

Mark

thanks everyone
smile.png

I think i'm going with nutrena and am no waiting for there local sales representative to come check me out and fill in all the paper work. Just got to love paper work
roll.png

I used Purina Grow Starter when they were chicks. They do carry a high quality produce. But I wanted to go organic. Now I use "Country Acres" Organic Certified Layer feed, shipped from Virgina.

Back
Top Bottom