Feed broody hen?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Woman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have a broody that I got some fertile eggs for her to sit on . She is in the garage in a x-large dog crate where it is warmer. My coop is not insulated and it is pretty cold here.

Should I be feeding her any differently than the other hens?
    They get layer crumbles,grit,oyster shell,scratch w sunflower seeds,oatmeal,greens and sometimes yogurt.

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    When my hen went broody I fed her the same as the others sometimes I had to hand feed her ....I would place a small bowl of water and feed close to her....Good Luck ! It's exciting !

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I feed my broody hens the chick starter. It is easier for them to eat and has plenty of good stuff in it. Though I make my own, it is still the same consistency as commercial starter and full of the same nourishment. Since they usually only eat once a day, they need as much good stuff in their body as they can get and that is what starter does. Packs a punch in a small way.
    I didn't like my birds to eat anything they needed for laying since their body is doing a different job when sitting on eggs. I adjust my feeding according to what they are doing like pets, breeders or layers and of course, broodies and mamas.

I also give them scrambled or hard boiled egg a few times a week. I wouldn't worry about the weather if she is in an enclosed garage.

4. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I would think feeding her the same would be just fine. I did spoil mine a little though while she was broody! [​IMG]

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Mine had their regular rations available when they'd get off the nest for their daily break. If I gave treats to the others I'd be sure to take some to the broody so she wouldn't miss out. Other than that I didn't really go to any extra trouble for them.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    They will not require much feed since they are setting and inactive. Mine would leave nest at least once a day to poop and get a drink and eat just a few bites of layer pellet feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by