Feed consistency normal?

Hey all! My hen recently started laying. I switched her to layer feed and she promptly stopped laying. She laid 3 eggs on a regular every day and a half schedule and then stopped and hasn't laid in a week. I have been religious about checking the run and the coop often. I am confident that it is not being laid somewhere that I am not looking and that nothing is getting them. Is this normal? I checked her new feed and the pellet consistency seemed odd to me. Some were firm while one side of the bag was softer with all this more fuzzy feed that almost seemed like disintegrated pellets. Is this normal? Feed pics below. Thanks for any help and advice.

I agree the feed looks bad. Also, remember that when hens first start laying their egg factory might not be fine tuned yet. The might not lay for a day or two just because they are new to the idea.

Definitely, get rid of that feed.

Hey all! My hen recently started laying. I switched her to layer feed

A laying hen needs more calcium than other chickens, which can be found in layer feed.
But it also works to just keep feeding her the same feed she ate when young, and provide a dish of oyster shells or pieces of eggshells for her to eat. If you keep a dish always available, the hen will usually eat enough to get her calcium, and other chickens will mostly ignore it.

Okay I immediately switched her back, but she hasn't started laying again!. Anything else I should do? A friend suggested garlic in her water or a probiotic maybe.

I switched her back to the chick starter she was on. Also just moved some 16 week olds to the coop last night(so i realize this may delay laying again). Can i put layer feed in there or would that be bad for the littler ones? I have been supplementing her generously with grubs.

Which feed is she on now?

Okay I immediately switched her back, but she hasn't started laying again!. Anything else I should do? A friend suggested garlic in her water or a probiotic maybe.

I switched her back to the chick starter she was on. Also just moved some 16 week olds to the coop last night(so i realize this may delay laying again). Can i put layer feed in there or would that be bad for the littler ones? I have been supplementing her generously with grubs.

Sometimes it just takes a while on the right feed to get things back to normal.

I would keep it simple: water, good feed (chick starter is fine), and a separate source of calcium (oyster shell or similar.) That should be safe and nutritious for all of them, and each can get themselves right amount of calcium as they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom