1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Consumption is way down

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I let the pullets out yesterday at 7 weeks. Instantly their "starter grower" feed consumption is way down. They are out there happily pecking around at the grass.

I am thinking of running another run on the other side of the hen house to try and manage their "pasture" area so that I can keep them in grass. They have a large area now but I have heard from yall that they will strip the grass from it in short order. ¿Have any of yall tried this method? I know that some of yall use tractors but with 20 chickens I didnt really want to try that, plus I wanted them to have a large hen house to live in. Both of my neighbors on either side of me keep their chickens in really small areas and I kinda dont like that. From what I can gather, neither neighbor gets very many eggs and I feel like the limited space may be part of the blame.

¿Any thoughts on the seperate pasture idea?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thats exactly what I do. I have coops with small runs (that are all dirt, of course). From those runs, I have run chicken wire to give them a very large grazing area that they are only allowed limited time. Im sure by next spring, when the grass is growing like crazy I can let them out more, but for right now they only go out for a few hours on the weekends. This way they will have a safe area to pick at grass and bugs without tearing it up.

It also isnt covered, since the area is so big, so they are only allowed out there when I can supervise.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Halo, do you have a picture of your setup? I am thinking of doing a similar thing--having different levels of protection. The coop is fort knox, the day run is fairly secure, and then building a large area that is minimally secure for them to use when I am around. I can't free-range here because of all the dogs and hawks, so this seems like a good compromise.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Rotational grazing! Splitting your land in to multiple paddocks work great with any livestock. It helps for them to have a sacrifice pen that they can destroy an only rotate them to the paddocks when the grass is healthy then back to the sacrifice pen or next paddock as soon as you see the first sign of ware on the grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by