Feed consumption

Hello, everyone! I just recently got rid of four extra roosters that had been in my flock. I used to have 13 chickens and would go through 2 to 2.5 bags of 50 lb. chicken feed. Now I only have nine chickens one rooster and eight hens. I’m just wondering how much feed a month I will go through now. How much food does everyone go through a month with their flock? Thank you!
Not sure if this helps or not but I have 4 hens and I go through a 25 lb bag in 2 months. Our hens free range all day but have unlimited access to their feed.

Hello, everyone! I just recently got rid of four extra roosters that had been in my flock. I used to have 13 chickens and would go through 2 to 2.5 bags of 50 lb. chicken feed. Now I only have nine chickens one rooster and eight hens. I’m just wondering how much feed a month I will go through now. How much food does everyone go through a month with their flock? Thank you!
Did someone take them or did you give them up for meat? Our silkie recently brooded some eggs and we ended up with one hen, one cross bill rooster and two large gorgeous roosters. We tried to rehire them via Facebook but that said I was doing commercial animal reading?? So I am at a loss how to regime them. They constantly pester the girls and we already had two roosters to begin with, one that lives alone because he attacked the senior rooster constantly. We have a soeeate setup for him. He is so good and quiet until he gets to that senior rooster then all he’ll breaks loose.

8 hens and 2 50# bags per month

Hello, everyone! I just recently got rid of four extra roosters that had been in my flock. I used to have 13 chickens and would go through 2 to 2.5 bags of 50 lb. chicken feed. Now I only have nine chickens one rooster and eight hens. I’m just wondering how much feed a month I will go through now. How much food does everyone go through a month with their flock? Thank you use

Our chooks free-rangs from dawn to dusk. I used to keep feed containers in the run at all times so they could eat whenever they wanted. I thought they were going through feed awfully fast until I discovered that we had rats in the coop and run.

I now feed my chooks under the bird feeder near the house and do not keep any feed in the coop. I put the feed containers away when I put the chooks in the coop at night. Our feed bill has gone down considerably.

Wow, I must be doing something wrong. Here I thought I was not feeding mine enough. I go thru about 100 lbs Laying pellets and 100 lb Laying Crumbles, per month, when I had 20 hens ( mostly Leghorns and California Whites) and a few roosters. And 100 lbs Chick Starter for my 19 chicks that are about 1 1/2 months old, now. It was getting to be to much money so I culled 5 hens, that weren't laying and 2 roosters. I'm about to separate some more hen's, to another run area, to see who is laying and who is not. I'm not gonna be feeding any deadbeat hens that aren't doing their job, anymore! ;)

Not sure if this helps or not but I have 4 hens and I go through a 25 lb bag in 2 months. Our hens free range all day but have unlimited access to their feed.
Same here although In Montana. Coop's laying floor fell thru so chicks from last Spring roost with older ones on B porch. Completely Free Range. 13-16 last count I thought I wasn't feeding enough since of that count I'm lucky to get 4 eggs a day. Has Been Below 0 on & off, for a couple weeks. Above freezing y-day. Don't really Keep a count of amount of food. Layer feed, 16%, 40lb, cracked corn, 50lb, Scratch. B Oil sunflower seeds maybe 6x a year. At least 16oz of each daily. In winter, refill waterers 2-3x a day. Is it me, the quantity of feed or the weather?

Wow, I must be doing something wrong. Here I thought I was not feeding mine enough. I go thru about 100 lbs Laying pellets and 100 lb Laying Crumbles, per month, when I had 20 hens ( mostly Leghorns and California Whites) and a few roosters. And 100 lbs Chick Starter for my 19 chicks that are about 1 1/2 months old, now. It was getting to be to much money so I culled 5 hens, that weren't laying and 2 roosters. I'm about to separate some more hen's, to another run area, to see who is laying and who is not. I'm not gonna be feeding any deadbeat hens that aren't doing their job, anymore! ;)
Slightly off subject, but how do you like the leghorns compared to the California Whites?

For me it’s not just the cost of the 100 pounds ofcorn and sunflower hearts as there is also the leaf lettuce, peanuts, cheese and blueberries. I consider all leftover cat food and kitchen scraps as free. They love their hand fed bedtime snacks.
One roster four hens and a male peacock and all the neighborhoods while birds

Back
Top Bottom