Feed costs are killing me!

Quote:
When I soak oats the assumption the sprouting process is initiated by time birds consume it. The OP is using a high 21% crude protein diet so using a lower protein supplement should spare some need for former.

We ate one tonight who had a bad leg. This chicken was 2.5 pounds without any organs, skin or feet. She was lean, lean. I'd like to get a bit more weight and fat on them before butchering, although in this heat, it may be asking a lot.
I would have never, in a million years tried to raise these poor girls in this heat, but Mcmurray screwed up my order and sent me Jumbo Crosses instead of the mix of heat tolerant layers that I asked for. At least they made it right and were great to work with.
I will be doing this again, if I can find a better source of grain. During a cooler season, of course. The meat was very nice tasting, although I've done a better job cooking before. I was a little concerned about overcooking, due to the leanness.
Would adding some BOSD or scratch increase fat gain? These are all Pullets, turn 7 weeks tomorrow.

Quote:
tracy, i feed my meaties with everything you mentioned above since they are 2-3 weeks old and they are healthy. it's true, i go to a mill and grind the corn and the wheat and feed the chickens with that bran. when i have, i add some sunflower seeds too (those are very good in the winter for layers, they lay eggs often). i dont think your chickens will eat plain grains. try it, it wont hurt them.

I have a grinder, so I can certainly do some grinding. This morning I started adding some 22% alfalfa, which they love. Ran out of feed with this AM's feeding, so when I hit the feed store tomorrow, will check out grains and sunflower seeds.
I'll also check the AZ thread and see if anyone has a source, although I think most seem to be raising layers and pets.
I'm not too worried about one more week with these girls but would love to get another twenty five jumbos in the fall after it cools down.
What would be the ideal temperature for feed efficiency and which sex is more efficient? I'd like to start making plans for when I do this on purpose, instead of by accident. Nice thing about AZ weather is if I need an 8 week block of mild temperatures, I can have them sometime during the fall, winter or spring.

Quote:
What was it when you entered the business?

I didn't intentionally get into the jumbo crosses. I've been out of poultry since 2005, when I moved from OK to AZ. Just starting my new flock and I ordered twenty five chicks from Mcmurray. They sent me the OEGB like I ordered and 17 jumbo crosses, instead of the mix of light breed, heat tolerant Pullets that I ordered. Quite a surprise when I saw a bunch of all yellow, heavy chicks that ate like nothing I'd ever seen before!
Anyway, I've been reasonably surprised by the inexpensive price of horse feed in this state until the past 6 months or so, however, I use very little grain. I also use only plain oats, nothing prepared by a big name like Purina. Prices did take a huge leap in the recent months, hay and grain have skyrocketed.
I'm getting the impression that the feed stores cater to pet chicken owners. There are really no feed mills locally and the choices in chicken feeds are slim. I wanted to find a 21% non-medicated feed ( I'm a physician and have a history of serious, antibiotic resistant infection so don't need to add any extras to my food chain). I checked four feed stores and found Purina flock raiser at one store, no other options or prices.
On another topic, the chicken I butchered yesterday was really lean, although her breast/legs and thighs, skinless, weighed out to 2.5 pounds at 6 weeks and 5 days. Is there any way to add a bit of fat to their carcass? I realize I'm fighting the environmental issue of heat, which isn't helping. We were over 115 on a couple of occassions last week and well over 110 daily for the past 2 weeks until today. I am giving them puddles of water and damp rice hulls to lay in, along with plenty of water. They have finally started to eat tomatoes, fruits and alfalfa leaves.
I only have six left to butcher, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I lost a pile of them to a pit bull attack early on when a neighbor's dog busted my huge gate down. I'd like to order twenty five this fall when it cools off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom