Feed costs/money making...

Month to date December sales: 20 Doz@ $3.50------$70.00
Feed costs for the month-----------------------------------$26.00

+$44.00

We still had 6 doz. to feed my family of 4.

How do I come out ahead? Here are 5 reasons why.

I live near a produce wholesaler and get lots of scraps each week to hold down my feed costs.

I am in a very "artsy" neighborhood.

Steady customers with standing orders each week.

Warm climate/long days= no heating, extra lighting, or increased food needs for the Winter.

Lucky,very lucky.

I have just over 200 hens right now....close to 300 but sold 100 to slow down a bit...egg production was huge..LOL

Buy a ton of feed at your local feed mill. That is what we do. We make ALOT OF profit off our eggs.

I just bought 1.5 tons --this lasts about 7-8 weeks give or take
(approx. cause I have to check calender to track how long 1.5 lasts and I am not near the calendar..LOL)

but I am paying $222.68 per ton....my total was $334.02 with a discount of $10.02 for our farm.

I sell eggs at $3.75 per dozen.
In January I am raising to $4 per doz. (most vendors are $5 now)

I buy egg cartons new for .27 each (ship included)

I sell at the farmer markets and the profit is huge. I have a few stores I sell retail because I have so many eggs, but they just take what I have left after the markets basically.

Yes there is profit definitely....or I wouldn't be doing it..LOL

OOPS---edited to say I re-read your original post...you can't buy by the ton. OH--I thought you were going to by it by the ton like I do.
You can't buy by the bag and truly make a decent profit. The bag is just too expensive usually for a good profit.
You can make profit but not alot and of course you do get fresh eggs to eat all you want..LOL

Last edited:
I live in Rural Alaska- nearest Feed store 67 miles one way-

50# layer feed $22 x 4 88.00
50# Scratch 19.00
Bedding Pine Shavings 20.00
Heated coop 13.00
Misc... 10.00
monthly total 150.00

Monthly Average Egg Sales 180.00
Home use 20.00

Roughly $50 per month

ETA: soon will be able to add chicks to the list of Produced....

Last edited:
BBB - ok, sorry I didnt see that lol.

FC - Does the feed that you buy in tons come in bags? What do you keep that many turkeys in? Lol.

BWD - ok. Sounds like you have sn interesting operation going on, lol.

Back
Top Bottom