Feed for 5 week olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vkchook, Jul 1, 2016.

1. vkchook

vkchook Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    Hi, been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere and feeling a little confused about what to be feeding my flock.they're a little over 5 weeks old. I know they should get a minimum of 18% protein, is this ok (pictured below)? This is what I've been feeding them & it's 20% protein but I've also read that "scratch" is for treats only and this is called Scratch & Peck. Which leads me to my next question, at what age can I give them treats like produce scraps? Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Scratch and Peck is the brand name. It's not the same as what we call scratch feed, which is a generic term for mixed corn, other seeds etc fed as a treat. You are lucky to have that starter available, it's very highly recommended.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Scratch and Peck is a brand name. They make all types of chicken food and it's excellent! The starter you have above is great.

"scratch" is a name for chicken treats, usually cracked corn or other grains. No added nutrients, low in protein, not a complete feed.

If you have your chicks on dirt, or if you give them grit, you can offer small amounts of produce scraps.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by