Feed for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KalChickenCrew, Apr 15, 2017.

1. KalChickenCrew

KalChickenCrew New Egg

Dec 21, 2016
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Last Spring I bought 5 Buff Orpington's at 3 days old and because of weather they were inside for 10 weeks, where I could keep their food dish always full. Over the last few weeks I have bought 10 chicks and because of nice weather, they are already outside in their new coop (a separate coop from the big birds). Because of my job and such, I am only capable of feeding them twice a day, so I need to make sure that what I'm feeding them at those two times, is adequate. Obviously this year, I have 10 instead of the 5 I had last spring, so I would normally just double the food, but I never kept track of how much I fed the 5, since I tried to just always keep it full. Any suggestion on how much to feed them twice a day would be appreciated. The birds I have are all roughly 6 weeks old and are:
    2 Buffs, 2 Bantams, 2 Barred Rocks and 4 Road Island Reds. Thanks!

2. james25

james25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2017
    Monjas, Guatemala
    My Coop
    Hey KalChickenCrew

It really depends on the gender, the breed, age, and whether the hens are laying or not. A hen that is laying (or not) can live off 4 ounces a day and still be very healthy and produce eggs. A chick doesn't particularily eat a alot of food but it still depends on the breed, I would keep their feeder full until they are two months old. A rooster needs to eat a lot more than the hen I suggest giving him about 8 - 10 ounces a day. I've never raised the kinds of chickens you have but if you google it you'll be able to find out. Also I would give them some corn or some other type of vegetable. I hope this helped a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by