Feed for laying and not yet laying pullets

Gypsyhen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Salem, Oregon
Can I use Start & Grow for laying pullets by adding some kind of protein? I have 2 out of 7 pullets laying now. Expectng a couple more might start laying before too long. As soon as the first one started laying I put out oyster shell. It gets eaten up right away. Question is about feed. I have a 50 lb. bag of Start & Grow that I'd like to use. I put out a few cups of meal worm a day, veggies, grit and fermented feed (has some Start & Grow in it.) The girls that are laying don't eat much of the fermented feed. The 3 younger ones eat some of it. So, are the girls that are laying or about to lay getting enough protien?

Also, I'm new to chicken keeping. :)

The only 'extra' requirement that layers need is calcium. As long as they have crushed oyster shell, you don't need to switch them off of grower. Grower has a higher protein content than layer feed, and that higher protein content is actually better for birds in molt and will help reduce feather picking and egg eating.

Thank you! So, if I get feed that is labeled "layer" it would have less protien and more calcium? Would it be better to switch to that once I've used up this bag? By then all of them should be laying.

Thank you! So, if I get feed that is labeled "layer" it would have less protien and more calcium? Would it be better to switch to that once I've used up this bag? By then all of them should be laying.

Layers has typically has a little less protein and more calcium. It's fine to switch to layers once you have finished your growers food but it will not do any harm to keep on with the oyster shell.

Ct

Back
Top Bottom