Feed in an egg? Hmmm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedIII, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Alright, so I have two pullets who've just started laying within the last couple of weeks. The other night I was cracking open some of their eggs to use in the kitchen, and I noticed a tiny clump of stuff about a third of the size of a pea on one of the yokes. I pulled it out and was trying to figure out what it was when my boyfriend suggested that it was feed. Yup, he was right. It WAS feed, just a few grains of it.

I figure that it's just an "oops" that happened because they are so new to laying, but it made me wonder if anyone else has had this happen? I would imagine it's not a huge problem, since I have seen meat slivers and blood flecks in eggs before.

2. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    The first couple of eggs I got, had yuck in them. They very quickly became clean and nice eggs. Im sure someone more experienced can give you more info than I can.

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yea don't worry about it. The first couple eggs sometimes are just a mess lol. The hen has no idea what its doing and sometimes screws up. Nothing to worry about. The next couple will be fine.

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    no never happend that weird as the two systems arent linked at all they are only linked by blood not anything else

1 person likes this.
  5. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by