feed in the hen house???

1othechicks

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
I just moved my 7 week old pullets out to the coop. I have a hen house that has a light bulb on to give them a little bit of heat - which I will be slowly weaning them off. My question is about feed. In the brooder, I had food and water at all times and they ate even late at night. In the coop I keep the feed and water in the hen run. Should I also have feed and water in the hen house? I close the door at night for warmth and protection. So if I don't put it in they won't have access to water or food until I open the door in the morning.

I keep food and water in the hen house. I use just a little bowl for each, and they never use it, but if something should happen to me or we should forget to let them out they would not starve.

Quote:
warmth ? where exactly do you live ?

I know at 7 weeks old they are full feathered and unless you in snow and ice , they should not need any heat . I have babies that are 6 weeks old and they been fine with NO HEAT .

I keep the food and water in the house otherwise they are loud and cranky too early in the morning for me if I want to sleep in a little like 7:30 or so they are used to work days at 6:00 am

Okay, thanks! That is helpful.
I live in the Northeast, but I guess it's not that cold yet - just 30's at night. I had read something that said they need heat for 2 months. But I will be very glad to not have to trudge out there at night with the extention cord:D

Don't know how big your coop is, but if you want to offer food in the coop and not take up much room, a piglet feeder mounted to the wall works great! I actually like it better than my hanging chicken feeder - it NEVER clogs up at the bottom.

I keep my feed and water in my coop. I am planning on putting a hanging feeder and waterer in my run which is covered when I integrate my new girls with my big girls. Click on the picture for a larger image.

Wow Cmom!
That is a beautiful hen house! Can I come back as one of your chickens???
lol.png

My henhouse is much smaller. It is basically this design with a few modifications https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/playhouse-coop.html
I took the feed and water out of the hen house b/c the girls kept knocking it over. I still have a large one in the covered run. I close the door on the hen house part after they go in at night and open it first thing in the morning. Do you think its okay to not have feed and water in the hen house part? You all seem to have it - but I'm not sure if it's a preferrence or if you think its a necessity.
I posted another question which no one has reponded to - Do I have to register my small flock somewhere?? Like the dept of agriculture or something? Someone said something like that to me and I can't find info anywhere on the net about that. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
This will be our 1st. winter with chickens . As of NOW , we have never put any feed inside the coop . Now if weather would be extremely cold and WET , we may have to do differently . BUT for now , Feed and water outside in the run area . Coop is for laying during the day and roosting at bedtime . Their pop door remains open 24/7 ... they come and go as they please in a secured coop and prediator proof run .

I have read several places that temps drop WAYYYYYYY below 0 and chickens are fine and choose to remain out in run during the daytime .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom