Feed is turning white

rthepunk

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Hi all,

I've run into a problem that I've never read about before and could use advise. I have searched the Forum and didn't find a thread about this. If one exists, I apologize for missing it.

Anyway... I've bought my chicken feed - crumble and/or pellet -- at Tractor Supply for several years and have never had a problem before. I noticed a few weeks ago that the feed is turning white in the feeder. I'm attaching a picture and you'll see the white flecks among the mixed pellets/crumble. It appears the ends of the pellets are turning white. They're not turning white in the bag, but once I put them in the feeder, they begin to turn. thought perhaps it was one bag of pellets doing it. But, they're now being fed from a different bag and its doing the same thing.

Has anyone run into this before? Any thoughts?
I thought maybe humidity, but it didn't happen in the summer when it was more humid.

I'd post a photo, but get a message that I don't have permission to post photos.

Susan in PA.

Good idea. I'll check the date on the bag. they should be fine as they were purchased in the last couple months.

Mold. Don't think so. It doesn't look like mold. But, then, I'm no mold expert. Too bad I can't post the picture.

Also like the idea of calling the manufacturer, maybe they know what's up.

thanks
Susan

I read the Forum FAQs and figured out how to post. Here is the picture. The white is the pellets turning white. My husband thinks maybe they're drying out. Hasn't happened in previous winters.

I think it is mold. Do you have high humidity and cool weather? Is the feeder in an area where there is no or very little air flow? Those conditions are perfect for mold growth.

Last edited:
Did you check the bag date?
Get the lot number too.
I'd take some closer and clearer pics and send to the manufacturer....
......take some of the feed back tot he store and see what they think.

Back
Top Bottom