Feed making hardboiled eggs difficult to peel?

1cityslicker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Ferndale, WA
Anyone have this issue before? We currently feed them layer crumbles supplemented with whatever is in the yard and of course oyster shell and grit. Occasionally BOSS and scratch. They're great for the frying pan and baking but hardboiled is awful.

Thank you. My search criteria didn't include the word fresh. Interesting because that means most store bought eggs are not indeed farm fresh.

I like to wait 4 or 5 days. I steam them instead of boiling. Then put them in a large pot of cold water to peel.

I boil my fresh eggs with a tablespoon of vinegar, teaspoon of salt and shortly after they boil I turn the burner off and let them set on the burner for at least a half hour; then i fill the pan up with ice water (lots of ice) and stick in the fridge for hours. Go back later and they peel easy and the yolks never get to dark from being over cooked. works every time.

I use this method on extremely fresh eggs and it never fails.

Boil the water first. No salt or vinegar added. Make sure it is a hard rolling boil. Add eggs cold from the fridge. Boil for 13-15 minutes, and then rinse in cold water.

Peels perfectly, even using eggs that were laid that morning.

I use this method on extremely fresh eggs and it never fails.

Boil the water first. No salt or vinegar added. Make sure it is a hard rolling boil. Add eggs cold from the fridge. Boil for 13-15 minutes, and then rinse in cold water.

Peels perfectly, even using eggs that were laid that morning.

I do this exact thing, except after the cold water, back in the fridge if not using right away. Works great, not major science involved (and I love chemistry). :)

I like to wait 4 or 5 days. I steam them instead of boiling. Then put them in a large pot of cold water to peel.

I just heard of this a few days ago and am going to try it.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom