Feed options

Sounds like mealworms are a good choice for you.

OP was talking about 500 pounds of food for one batch of meat birds, and also about which feeds were more expensive than others, so I assume cost is important in that case :)
I couldn’t imagine using 500lbs of food. That’s some dedication!!

Been discovering how hard it is to find the things I need for my feed... going corn free because of nonmolting chickens being sensativre to corn,.. finally found a way to get corn free starter... found a wheat and paddy source. A peanut sunflower source... but just trying to cut corn out is hard, it’s in everything even rabbit alfalfa pellets.

Been discovering how hard it is to find the things I need for my feed... going corn free because of nonmolting chickens being sensativre to corn,.. finally found a way to get corn free starter... found a wheat and paddy source. A peanut sunflower source... but just trying to cut corn out is hard, it’s in everything even rabbit alfalfa pellets.

You could try growing some if you have the land to do it on. I know you're trying to not use corn, but bare with me for a second. I understand trying to move away from corn, but I think the problem is more in corn based processed foods, gmo-corn on an enormous scale, and commercial corn being sprayed with glyphosate religiously. The kernel itself, I don't think is a bad thing. If you want to be eco-conscious and still use corn, you could find open pollinated varieties of corn that like the types that native americans planted that don't have environmental and and health implications. It would be expensive to buy, but growing some would not be that hard if you had the right amount of space for it. For 52 chickens (enough for a year for my family) you would not need very much space to grow the amount of feed corn you need to feed that amount of chickens.

I am a 1/4 acre with house... we are growing some corn... popcorn and sweet for the humans. We are in progress of creating as much food growing opportunities as possible In the yard and house.

The problem with corn predates GMOs and it simply slowly poisons them. It is a genetic issue. I am just starting with Corn to eliminate, as I know from studies I read years ago that there is something very specific in it that is the problem and has historically made these breeds have short life spans. Though breeding has been done to make them less sensitive the danger is still pretty high that corn kills. Now it is being suggested on the net all gluten grains, but I want more real research on that as people tend to project their health fears on their animals... and unlike the corn which I saw studies on, I have seen no studies on these other grains.

The problem is I am adding breeds to my flock that have a high % of junglefowl DNA that is not Red but the other species and that is why the intolerance can happen.

I will probably start plans to grow bird feed plants in some specific areas around the yard, but I will still need to buy feed.

Back
Top Bottom