Feed options!

PoultryParadise

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
So I am unimpressed with the feed I bought for my quail. It is a game bird ration, and the birds are always acting starving, even when there is food in their bowl. I have been feeding them meal worms as a treat scince I've noticed how hungry the little ones were.
Any suggestions? I don't mind mixing my own feed if necessary.

gig.gif

What brand of food?
What percent protein?

Look at the label on the bottom of the bag and tell us what it says. It should be sewn into the seam.

Crude Protein, not less than 30.0%
Crude Fiber, not less than 6.5%
Crude Fat, not more than 2.5%
Lysine, not less than 1.5%
Methionine, not less than 0.5%
Calcium, not less than 1.0%
Calcium, not more than 1.5%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.8%
Salt, not less than 0.25%
Salt, not more than 0.75%

I have a purina startena tag sitting right in front of me. Those numbers do seem to match.

I wanted to verify that the birds weren't hungry because of protein starvation. Remember, there are game bird feeds on the market that are super-low in protein -- for overwintering pheasants, if I remember correctly what has been posted by JJ & others about them.

Also, are you feeding them as much as they want to eat, or are you rationing out their food?

"What is that supposed to mean?"

AS QUAIL LADY STATED ITS A NORMAL BEHAVIOR... IN YOUR CASE IF THEY REALLY ACT PATHETIC THEY HAVE YOU TRAINED TO PROVIDE WORMS... WHILE QUAIL CAN NEVER BE ACCUSED OF BEING ROCKET SCIENTISTS, THEY CAN FIGURE A FEW THINGS OUT... ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD/ TREATS.
smile.png

ACCORDING TO YOUR FEED ANALYSIS IT SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT NUTRITION FOR THEM.

NOW BE A GOOD LIL FEED MONSTER AND GO FILL THEIR FOOD BOWL..... OH AND BRING SOME MORE WORMS!...
lau.gif
(PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS LAST STATEMENT AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN SARCASTIC HUMOR
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom