Feed prices

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ole rooster, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just got back from TSC. I went to get the dried meal worms. Their managerial system really stinks. They still didn't have any. But the main thing I shocked with is the price of the layer feed going up. With every shipment from their warehouse the feed prices go up. In 4 weeks it's increased from $12.96 to $14.49 today. Is everybody else gettin this increase?

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Went to the feed store yesterday. $43 for 2 bags Layena and a bag of scratch. $15 for each layer and $13 for scratch. Going to have to find last years slips and see what I was paying but know it was less than it is now for sure.[​IMG]

3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Ours is currently at 15 for 50ib bag.

4. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    You could try looking for hubbard, or kent dealers in your area to save the cost on feed. If you can have a local mill mix for you then you can really save. If the quantities that the feed meal make are more than you can use perhaps a neighbor with chickens can go into the purchase with you.

We buy from TSC when we have too, but normally we purchase milled feed which is about 1/2 the cost. Even the commercial feeds from the local mills and feed stores are less expensive than TSC but we do get plenty of other supplies from TSC.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  5. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    Feed prices going up here may have something to do with gas prices or the company's are trying to make a few extra bucks [​IMG]

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not likely, the reason for the rise in feed prices is two fold: Dramatic reises in feed ingredient costs and increased transportation costs.

Fro example, the price of corn is about 200% higher than it was 14 months ago.

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I just came back from our local (30 min away) feed mill and I paid:

$10.00 sweet goat feed / 50 lbs

$ 9.50 cracked corn / 50 lbs

$10.50 layer pellets / 50 bs

Not certified organic but all locally grown and milled and they use a herbicide on 1 crop only.

8. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Grain prices have increased tremendously as stated by Lazy J. This, in part, is due to increase demand and environmental factors. MN had a cold wet spring and an early frost, although I don't think we have too much bearing on the commodity prices, other parts of the US have suffered from drought, flooding, etc. Expect prices to continue to climb. Adjust your egg prices if you can. If you are just raising a few chickens for your family, know that food prices are increasing at the grocery also.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Mine has gone up 35% since the first of the year.

10. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    In just the last year my feed has went up from $12.75 to $16.50. 50lb bags of Flock Raiser Pellets...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by