Feed question—5percent increase in protein

Went to the feed store today and got more grower feed for my 14 week old chickens. The previous feed was 18percent protein but the store switched suppliers and this new grower feed is 23 percent. Is that too much? Is that a problem at all?
No, not a problem.

I've fed 24% thru 12 weeks (I don't go higher, because I have ducks), and still do to 9 weeks sometimes. With my mutts. No issues, nor am I aware of any studies indicating long term issues from high protein in chickens, apart from excess nitrogen in their droppings, and, at some point, reduced feed efficiency - honestly, protein is expensive - no one, and no country - is studying the effects of a diet that expensive for putting food on the table, much less for long term care.

All I can offer is anecdote, and an assurance that its not well studied in the usual places for poultry feed publication

At 14 weeks, I give them 20 to 22 protein percentage but they also free range so they aren't eating the feed every hour. It helps to balance out what they find vs there food.

They will go through juvenile molt and having them on high protein will make transition of new feathers easier for them.

Back
Top Bottom