Feed question: laying hens and chicks together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jul 3, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My three-week old chicks have been on the floor of the coop with Mama hen, where I have chick starter for them. My other hen has the roost and counter-top area where I keep layer crumble for her.

I am seeing indications that the little ones are spending time up above now - huge amount of layer feed gone. Should I replace it all with chick starter so the little ones get the right food?

Also, since neither Mama hen or my recently-ill EE are laying at the moment, I removed the oyster shell from the run. Is it dangerous for chicks?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    how old are the chicks? you can switch them all to a starter/grower or a flock raiser type feed. you can still put the oyster shell in there and offer it free choice, the chicks probably wont eat it

3. bawkbawkbawk

So it's okay for the grown hens to eat the "baby" food? Little ones are 3 weeks old. Thanks for helping.

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have had all of my birds on chick starter for years now and never any problems. I think it's good bc the protien is higher in it.
    Maybe i'm wrong but that's what I do [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use flockraiser for everybody. The chicks don't bother the seperate feeder of oyster shell. In fact, that's one indicator I have of when a pullet is getting to point-of-lay; I see her starting to visit the oyster shell dispenser.

Chick starter is fine too. Reason I don't use it - Only chick starter available around here is medicated. I am one of those rare individuals that is allergic to many, many meds. and I don't want to take a chance on eating an egg from a hen that's eating the medicated feed. Even if it's only miniscule amounts of the coccidistat that gets in the egg.

6. bawkbawkbawk

I learn so much on BYC! [​IMG] Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by