Feed question?

aceintoledo

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
We got our chickens just before Easter. The main reason for getting them was we wanted to know more about where our eggs were coming from and the conditions the chickens were in that produced them. Now that we have them, what is the best diet for them that will produce the best quality eggs?

I came looking for this exact same answer. I got four hens from a friend who said she's always fed them cracked corn, so that's what I purchased. My sister, who also raises chickens (but not as long as my friend) said they need protein to assist with laying.

I just got them today and from four hens, they have already laid two eggs, so I'm figuring my friend knows what she is talking about...haha

Who is correct??

You should feed your baby chicks 0-12 weeks (read the feed label) a chick starter feed.

After that you can switch to a grower feed.

IF the hens are laying, feed them a layer feed.

The chicken scratch is a treat (like candy) and should only be fed sparingly, if at all.

Laying hens will also need some extra calcium, so you can give them some oyster shell, too.

smile.png

Quote:
Thanks AC, yes they are layers or at least they will be. 1 RIR, 2 SLW, 1 NHR, 1 BPR, and 1 BLK PR.

It used to be common to feed chickens corn and table scraps, and let them forage. They can survive on this but it is not the best diet, we now know. Although if there is a way they can forage for some of their food in relative safety, that is great; they love to eat bugs and will eat a fair amount of grass.

Back
Top Bottom