1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Recipes for Show Birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sonoran Silkies, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not wanting to reopen the topic of Marans eggs, but the discussion of feed recipes and ingredients was very interesting (and I do not think controversial). I know that milo is supposed to be more nutritious than corn. It is also supposed to yellow feathers more than corn does.

I am intrigued by the possibilities of what all could/should be included in a quality feed, not necessarily the least expensive alternatives, but rather the most nutritious ones. Looking to include ingredients that will supply all or most of the trace minerals needed, and in a digestible form. I don't like corn, and I don't like soy.

So, if you have feed recipes please tell... [​IMG]

2. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I am definitely interested in what everyone has to say on this topic. I think we can all benefit from this. I'd love to know what I could feed to keep my White Cochins white, but to keep them in top condition also. I am currently feeding them Purina Show Chow. Is there something better that I could mix up myself to provide a balanced diet, and keep the whites from yellowing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by