Feed recommendation

Local and fresher would be wonderful, if true. Some local mills do a great job, others, maybe not. Don't just assume that it's good, that's all. You should be saving shipping charges, true. But, is the mill paying more for their ingredients, getting smaller volumes?
Mary
You make very good points! I was a bit hasty in this. I will do some more research before I make any kind of switch. Thank you so much for talking through it.

They only have a Facebook page. It’s coop’d up feed. In TN

Wow that's expensive for a local mill. The 21% broiler mix may also be a possiblity for you, then put oyster shell, free choice, on the side. I'm out of high speed data again, but glanced at the first thirty, fourty photos on their facebook page. No guaranteed nutrition labels. Makes it hard to help remotely.

Wow that's expensive for a local mill. The 21% broiler mix may also be a possiblity for you, then put oyster shell, free choice, on the side. I'm out of high speed data again, but glanced at the first thirty, fourty photos on their facebook page. No guaranteed nutrition labels. Makes it hard to help remotely.
Still less expensive than what we pay now at tractor supply. But not enough to switch if the nutrition isn’t there. I did request nutrition information, so we’ll see.

2EEBFA85-B8C9-43DE-8799-5005A3F7C3A9.jpeg

Found a label. For a feed they apparently don't make anymore.

For a layer, its high protein. That's good. Its also higher in both fat and fiber than any source I am aware of recommends, including USDA/NRCS, and the various universsity extensions, as well as the published literature. That's not great, though I have seen worse. Calcium levels are typical for a "Layer" feed at 4% +/-. Niacin isn't listed, but probably inadequate for ducks and geese (in fairness, its not designed for them, either). Methionine is at the bottom of the recommended level range (again, typical of a layer feed, but surprising given the protein %, the use of soy, fish meal, and a "mineral package" - The soy meal and fish meal must be just barely present.

Three month experation date is quite reasonable.
1634953553386.png

It was labeled for laying hens only, and not ideal, I agree. The fish meal is just above the dried molasses and mineral mix, so looks nice on the label, but very small amount actually present.
Sort of like those amazing dog and cat food labels, including blueberries. (Hysterical laughter here) because no dog or cat needs blueberries, much less the two per ton, or so that are actually present...
But I digress
mary

Thank you. MUCH Better. Good protein, but not high enough to be an "angel wing" concern for ducks or geese. You did have ducks or geese, right? I'm in four virtually identical threads tonight, the individual flocks are running together on me. Upper end of fiber, but within the accepted range. Still a little high on fat, not a bad thing if you are raising meaties or dual purpose, not so high as to be an overall negative across the flock. Again, no niacin levels listed (this is typical across the industry, its mostly concerning if you have ducks or geese). 1% calcium+/- is very reasonable, and typical of this sort of feed. Methionine is, again, bottom of the accepted range, and lower than recommended for birds prior to point of lay - which is what "Starter" is ostensibly designed for. The target should be .5% to .55%

Back
Top Bottom