Feed sound off, Purina vs Blueseal vs Nutrena

I feed mine Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side. I like the higher protein that you get with an "all flock" feed compared to a layer feed. I also like the way the eggs taste with the Flock Raiser.

When I first got my chickens several years ago, I fed them an organic feed with fish meal for the protein. The chickens loved the feed, but talk about nasty tasting eggs. :sick

Another thing you can feed is starter or grower. Higher protein than layer feed. Just be sure to have free choice oyster shell available. I did this before I went with the Purina.

Okay so since August I've been doing a trial........ I started with blue seal extra egg layer crumble....which was fantastic the poop was nice and clumpy and didn't smell too bad.... The yolks were a good medium color... I have leghorns so the shells .. white and nice and firm.... Then when I switched over to the nutrena layer crumble, I noticed a crumble was much much much darker I couldn't make out any corn pieces or anything it looked like chopped up cardboard..... And it kind of has a crunchy crumbry feeling to it.. I fed it to the girls they loved it, but I noticed darker much darker poop and it was more runny and it smelled really bad, it didn't change the structure of the egg or the quality in my opinion I didn't notice much on the laying maybe one or two less eggs here and there... Then when they gave them Purina layena layer crumble, I have the exact same results as blue seal they almost look identical the poop went back to normal... And after 5 days a feeding them Lena every Haddon was laying again for at least four to five days in a row.... Unfortunately my local Agway does not carry lagina or blue seal crumble.... They do have blue seal layer pellets which I have this month and I added a little water to it and make it a mash... But I made sure I went to a tractor supply and I bought a bag of blue seal layer crumble and a blue seal of all flock crumble.... I found mixing the two is a great combination especially for winter...... Let me know what you guys think:celebrate:caf

Okay so since August I've been doing a trial........ I started with blue seal extra egg layer crumble....which was fantastic the poop was nice and clumpy and didn't smell too bad.... The yolks were a good medium color... I have leghorns so the shells .. white and nice and firm.... Then when I switched over to the nutrena layer crumble, I noticed a crumble was much much much darker I couldn't make out any corn pieces or anything it looked like chopped up cardboard..... And it kind of has a crunchy crumbry feeling to it.. I fed it to the girls they loved it, but I noticed darker much darker poop and it was more runny and it smelled really bad, it didn't change the structure of the egg or the quality in my opinion I didn't notice much on the laying maybe one or two less eggs here and there... Then when they gave them Purina layena layer crumble, I have the exact same results as blue seal they almost look identical the poop went back to normal... And after 5 days a feeding them Lena every Haddon was laying again for at least four to five days in a row.... Unfortunately my local Agway does not carry lagina or blue seal crumble.... They do have blue seal layer pellets which I have this month and I added a little water to it and make it a mash... But I made sure I went to a tractor supply and I bought a bag of blue seal layer crumble and a blue seal of all flock crumble.... I found mixing the two is a great combination especially for winter...... Let me know what you guys think:celebrate:caf
So you’re staying with Blue Seal? Not Layena?

I've never tried Blue Seal. You can get it in an all flock pellet? I've never seen it at my tsc. Will look into that, thanks.

I started my flock on an organic crumble and loved it, but the place I was buying from isn't reliable anymore so I switched to Nutrena All Flock pellets. I like the pellets because I feel like there's less waste and the sparrows and finches can't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom