Feed sound off, Purina vs Blueseal vs Nutrena

I found mixing the two is a great combination especially for winter...... Let me know what you guys think:celebrate:caf
I have production red hens that the shell quality suffers when just being on all flock. I now mix roughly 1 scoop Poulin Grain Layer and 2 scoops allflock and am happier with the shell thickness.
I think especially with high production birds like Leghorns and Production reds you can not just give low calcium feeds such as flock raiser/starter/all flock type products. Yes I have Oyster shell in two separate containers also.

Anyone else with the same problem?
I don't have production reds, and only one brown Leghorn pullet, so I can't comment except to say that I don't know.
When I did have red sex-links and hatchery RIRs, they did fine on Flock Raiser and separate oyster shell, and that's been years ago.
Mary

If you're giving off lock and supplementing with oyster shell I believe you're covering all the bases.... Like I said with trial and error I usually feed blue seal layer..... Sometimes I buy a 25lb bag of blue seal off lock and I mix it with a hundred pounds of layer during the seasons when they need more protein..... So far I've never gotten a rubber egg or have had issues with the shells.... Last time I had a weird egg was about 5 years ago when my production reds first started laying sometimes they would lay two eggs a day and the second egg didn't have a shell... A lot of my red crosses ended up egg bound on the second year?? So I stayed away from them after those issues love my leghorns... If I needed more eggs I would definitely go back to a nice mixture.... On the other hand my feed store is giving away 2 free buff orpington roosters I was thinking of maybe making my own cross hatching the fertilized eggs but I really don't feel like having chicks lol .... If no one else claims them in the next few days and I feel up to it I may have some meat for the stew pot lol

If you're giving off lock and supplementing with oyster shell I believe you're covering all the bases.... Like I said with trial and error I usually feed blue seal layer..... Sometimes I buy a 25lb bag of blue seal off lock and I mix it with a hundred pounds of layer during the seasons when they need more protein..... So far I've never gotten a rubber egg or have had issues with the shells.... Last time I had a weird egg was about 5 years ago when my production reds first started laying sometimes they would lay two eggs a day and the second egg didn't have a shell... A lot of my red crosses ended up egg bound on the second year?? So I stayed away from them after those issues love my leghorns... If I needed more eggs I would definitely go back to a nice mixture.... On the other hand my feed store is giving away 2 free buff orpington roosters I was thinking of maybe making my own cross hatching the fertilized eggs but I really don't feel like having chicks lol .... If no one else claims them in the next few days and I feel up to it I may have some meat for the stew pot lol
FYI I have a white Leghorn Roo if you are ever interested let me know.
939934A8-F496-466A-82A2-0FF6B41DB27B.jpeg

He sure is a looker I actually just went to go pick up the buff orpington rooster.... I told one of my buddies they had to for free he got one and I got one.... Are you located around Connecticut??
Located in Tolland county CT
He is alittle small I wish he was bigger. Then again I am new to Leghorns so not really sure how big he should be

Located in Tolland county CT
He is alittle small I wish he was bigger. Then again I am new to Leghorns so not really sure how big he should be
I know they're not too big the hens are like 4 to 5 lb of roosters are probably seven pounds at most maybe

Oh no! i just bought jus just bought a bag of Nutrena Hearty Hen. It’s soy free and uses canola. And flax. They haven’t begun laying yet, I’m just transitioning to transition them. They are 18 weeks old.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most breeds aren't susceptible to that issue anyway. Only a small amount of the heritage breeds. I'd just feed what you have and see what happens. If you get fishy eggs, you can switch feeds at that point, and the eggs will be all good in a couple days.

Thanks for the reality check. No point in worrying about it.
Oh goodness I really hope you don't get fishy eggs...... the thought of those two mixtures is crazy..... I highly hopefully doubt your eggs will taste fishy my fingers toes and eyes are crossed for you lol
..... let us know what happens on this thread that's a good go to for people to discuss their experiences with certain feeds I'm glad I started it I can't believe I've had such responses!!!!

Back
Top Bottom