Feed Spilling

Alright
How long can I have the feed spilled?
Sitting on the ground? That depends greatly on your environment. It looks pretty clean in there, and you said it's been hot and dry so it's not about to instantly rot overnight. I wouldn't let it sit there for longer than 2 or 3 days if you can help it, even if it doesn't get wet it can still mold, grow bacteria from contact with poo, or attract pests.

Some good advice so far. I had one of those round metal hanging feeders and it caused a huge, huge, huge rat infestation. I had it sitting on the ground at the end for some new juvenile birds, lifted it up and a basket ball size ball of rats that had dug a hole under the feeder boiled out over my feet. I had noticed a few days before that when it was still hanging at beak height that it would be swinging when I opened the door. That was the rats jumping off the feeder when they heard me approaching the coop.

You are going to need a proper treadle feeder if it is rodents. Google something like chicken feeder reviews, they have the best reviews that I have seen and no affiliate links so they are not making a buck shilling for feeder manufacturers. IMHO they are a bit strict on things like packaging which while I understand the environmental aspects of less packaging the manufactures spend that money on packaging so the feeder has a bigger chance to survive shipment. Not sure that has a place in reviewing a feeder but to each his own.

I have the same problem that also just started. There is only layer pellets in the feeder for over two years now. I did have this problem when I tried to go from crumbles to pellets, so I know now not to mix anything in with it. I topped it off on Sunday. Yesterday they had spilled a little, which is not unusual. Today it looks like they've pretty-much emptied the entire contents. If anyone figures it out, I'd love to hear how. The feeder has a small grid/grill in the bottom that is supposed to keep them from doing this!
chickenfood.jpg

I have the same problem that also just started. There is only layer pellets in the feeder for over two years now. I did have this problem when I tried to go from crumbles to pellets, so I know now not to mix anything in with it. I topped it off on Sunday. Yesterday they had spilled a little, which is not unusual. Today it looks like they've pretty-much emptied the entire contents. If anyone figures it out, I'd love to hear how. The feeder has a small grid/grill in the bottom that is supposed to keep them from doing this!
View attachment 2698935
Sadly these feeders are just poorly designed. The cost within $20.00 of a real feeder but people usually don't know the problems with the design and hey, they are $20.00 cheaper... You need two to three inches of front on the feeder to prevent raking and at least a 1/2" lip extending into the feeder at a 90 degree angle in order to stop raking. But hey, they saved a dollars worth of sheet metal.

You can try adding a lip. See if your local big box store carries roof flashing and find a 6" x 12" flashing, flat or bent at a 90 degree. Fold it in half so it is stronger, put it in vise so you can hammer over the first half inch or so into a lip, might have to trim some of the sides so it sticks into the feed cavity, and put some sheet metals screws in to hold it in place.

The feed is piled up more than should be under normal conditions. Choke off the flow of feed with some cardboard, try chocking off 20% of the opening, go bigger if needed. There should be a thin layer of pellets, a single layer thick, on the angled feed tray that prevents more feed from falling down. That said, if the feeder isn't secured solidly to a wall or post it will just flop and shake around and the feed will pile up at the bottom till if over flows again.

IF it's not rodents getting in, I highly recommend aart's feeder design:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/

I can't believe how well it works, and it was really cheap (and easy) to make. I just returned from a 3 week trip, and there was enough food left for about another week for my flock of 8.

If you've rodents, I agree with Al. Treadle is the way to go! Either that, or find and secure all rodent entry points...

Back
Top Bottom