Feed store/husband mess up...what would ya'll do?

LOL Stuff like this is a large part of the reason I'm happily divorced. If only people that do these things would learn... but nope, they don't. Especially the chatty ones. They enjoy socializing with other people so much that they always get distracted. They are very sweet people but ARGH!

I think you are doing the right thing by mixing the two bags. Like someone said, the gas alone costs too much to make that trip again so soon.

Quote:
LOL - no...but I did marry the most TALKATIVE man I have ever met...PLUS he is totally ADHD, not on paper, I don't have a professional diagnoses...but he has to be! I know that's what happened yesterday - he got into a conversation about that dang horse...looking at it...not watching what they were loading...and his mind clicked into "OOH HORSE!" and feed was forgotten...

I asked him today to help shuffle stuff in the freezers...he went off telling me HOW to fry a turkey...making a list of things he needed to fry said turkey....HOLDING A FROZEN 25 pound TURKEY THE WHOLE TIME!!! Anyone else could have waited until later...he was so happy I left one whole to fry that was all he could focus on!

He's 45 - minus 40 I think...the only thing he does faster with more focus than me is saddle up the horses...he can get that done in no time...everything else requires much planning and a story time moment...I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants...

I feel a little better now though...I really did laugh reading your post, because that sounds like my FIRST husband! (Only, he was more of a beer drinker than an asthma attack haver...he'd be too sloppy drunk to help!)

cravenchx: They are 2 1/2 weeks old, and will probably be close to 3 before I have to start mixing the feed...I'm probably gonna go 75/25 at first...then 50/50 ish towards the end of the bags...hopefully by then my 2 weeks will be up and I'll be close enough again to justify another run to the feed store!

First, if you have any other feed that is 1% calcium or any ground grain, mix some of that with the layer. It's not so much the percentage but the accumulation of calcium in the kidneys over time. I think they'll be fine. I had a single chick I couldn't raise away from the flock so she ate almost exclusively layer and she turned out OK. Also roosters don't lay eggs and eat layer feed.
If you have ACV put that in their water. Acidifiers protect the kidneys from excessive calcium.

It's not just husbands.
My wife has no clue and doesn't care.
Did I mention that yesterday I went to add the egg from my best black Penedesenca pair to the carton of their eggs I was preparing to incubate and the carton was empty?
My wife chose those eggs over the cartons of mix breed eggs sitting next to them for breakfast in spite of the dates and rooster/hen numbers written on the eggs. Breakfast with $35/doz eggs over $3/doz eggs. I'm sure she did it on purpose.
She does the same with wine.

Your stories were so amusing... You had me laughing! Boy I would have be so mad about those breeder eggs thou.
somad.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Doesn't work!!! I have rehomed 2 husbands so far and my third is just like the first two
rant.gif

Yikes, I just realized that chicken math and husband math is the same at my house
tongue2.gif
O well, at least my chickens make me breakfeast
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif
Doesn't work!!! I have rehomed 2 husbands so far and my third is just like the first two
rant.gif

Yikes, I just realized that chicken math and husband math is the same at my house
tongue2.gif
O well, at least my chickens make me breakfeast
big_smile.png

I'd rehome him...but he's kinda entertaining some days...and he can fix the truck when it breaks...and he can cook...so I tolerate his faults...at least he doesn't rear, buck, kick, bite or bolt....if he did he'd be glue for sure!

Back to the feed: since the broiler chicks grow so fast, the extra calcium is probably actually good for them, They are manufacturing a whole lot of bone as they grow. In fact, some of the leg trouble with broilers might possibly be because they aren't getting enough calcium.

So I'd feed the layer feed and not worry about it. They'll go through the feed fast, and next time you know that you must supervise the loading.

Oregon Blues: You are SO going to have to teach me more about ducks! And yeah...a friend and I had pondered before the question of feeding layer feed to the broiler chicks because of the fast growth/calcium needs/etc...it almost sounds like a better thing for them...but I'm still probably gonna mix it 50/50 and leave DH at home from now on
big_smile.png
It's like taking a kid shopping...I always spend more than I intend to and he usually wants something he can't have!

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. I doubt very much they will live long enough for their kidneys to fail.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom