Feed Waste

I started putting just enough out for them to eat in a couple hours. I had tons of crumbles on the ground! This has worked well the past couple days. I may have to put out food for the chicks 3 times a day, but there is very little waste. I just put about half to a cup of chick starter in a saucer sitting on a board.
Im trying to switch the older hens to pellets. They didnt want any part of that, til I stopped giving them treats and scratch. Today they ate the pellets much better.

pam in TX

Try using a deep trough feeder and only fill it 1/3 full. If the sides are deep it will keep them form tossing it over the sides. I am looking into getting one myself. Ours eat any waste that falls but I would rather keep it in the feeder in the first place. Like others have said, pellets will work wee, as long as your flock takes to them. Ours do not particularly like them and the feed we use is organic with a lot of grains in it, almost like mash.

I also use trough feeders, some drywall mud pans I got free with rebate at home improvement store, braced against coop wall or pen with a couple of heavy bricks. Only fill half full. They can bill it around but don't toss it out because the pans are deep. These pans have a narrow metal edge that is not comfy to perch on but won't cut feet. The pans are small enough, like 14 inches, to tuck them at night in my garbage can storing feed to keep away from mice and insects, and they go in dishwasher. Probably only a solution for a small flock but works for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I am fighting ants here as usual. I keep the food inside the coop because when it was outside the ants were even worse than now. I am using DE mixed into the sand in the coop for the summer and it helps. I will have to look for the drywall mud pans. Maybe switch to pellets when this bag of feed is done. I only have 4 chickens so it takes awhile to go through a bag of feed.

I have a raised chicken coop with a thick wire mesh screen for the floor. I keep their food and water in the coop, they can come and go as they please. Food does get spilled during the day but then they think they found a great treat under their coop!

Back
Top Bottom