feed you can give chickens to make them fertile

Hambone

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Union, KY
I know this is probobly bs but here goes.........

Have any of you heard of a feed you can give chickens to make them fertile without a rooster. A co worker of my gf was telling her about it the other day.

Yes there is but it's illegal to import it to this country. The thing is you can't get pure bred birds that way only crosses. The hatchability is not very high either.

Wow! It amazes me how little some people understand about biology (not you... the coworker who was giving this advice to your friend). In order to create offspring, there HAS to be a transfer of genetic material from a male to a female. No food source is able to do that, particularly because digestion and reproduction occur within two completely different systems.

Yes there is. It's called sperm, you get that from roosters. IF you wanna get cute, the rooster doesn't have to be in the presence of the hen to inseminate her, but there dang sure ain't anything you can feed them to make fertile eggs.

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you that one... You could get sperm from a rooster and then inseminate a hen yourself, but a rooster does have to supply the sperm at some point in the equation!
wink.png

Without getting a little R-rated, the concept sounds like the equivalent of telling a woman she can get pregnant by... um well you know
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom